Thread: Green Bar displaying on video downscaled from HD

1. Green Bar displaying on video downscaled from HD

Hey. Long story short, someone shot footage on an HD camcorder in 1080p. They got a program called VoltaicHD to downscale it to 540p. It edited fine, when when I rendered the final movie it has a green bar at the bottom of the screen. The bar isn't covering the video- it's pushing it up a bit. Any ideas as to why this is happening and if there's anything to be done to fix it? Could it be a codec issue (Win XP)?

The green bar happens in Windows Media Player and Quicktime.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Dolemite; 10 May 2010 at 01:49 PM.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

2. Sounds like codec trouble! Also sounds like VoltaicHD is fucking up your business. OR something is fucking up the render properties and it's trying to add a bunch of blank lines in there.

Recently had a problem where everything was rendering out in plaid (?!) in Quicktime, unchecking 3D acceleration finally fixed it. Was never a problem until about three weeks ago, then boom, plaid. Unrelated? Maybe. But damn was that ever a tacky problem.

3. I don't think it's VoltaicHD that's fucking up, as the video files it converts play fine- it's after I import the footage into Premiere Pro that the green bar rears its head. However, it's funny- in Premiere, the green bar only appears if the footage is paused; when playing, the bar goes away. But after I finished editing the fooage and rendered the final AVI, the green bar then appeared and never went away.

I'm wondering...I'm using an older version of Premiere Pro (7.0). I have a copy of CS3 lying on my desk, which has native HD support. I wonder if I can import project files made with older versions of Premiere into it? If so, maybe that'll help. We shall see!

Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

4. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    Hey. Long story short, someone shot footage on an HD camcorder in 1080p. They got a program called VoltaicHD to downscale it to 540p.
    I bet the Alan Wake devs used this program.

5. Could be AIDS.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

6. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    I'm wondering...I'm using an older version of Premiere Pro (7.0). I have a copy of CS3 lying on my desk, which has native HD support. I wonder if I can import project files made with older versions of Premiere into it? If so, maybe that'll help. We shall see!
    Not that I've ever worked with Premiere, but unless Premiere 7.0 is ass-old, there's no reason Premiere CS3 shouldn't be able to import it. Adobe apps are typically very good about being able to bring in files made by older versions of the app.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

7. Thanks, 'doshi. I was chatting on the phone with Mezz for about 20 minutes about this issue, and he agrees with you. Imma go try it now.

8. I had this issue with an HD file using Final Cut Pro. No matter what I converted the file to (HDV, Pro-Res, Etc.) the green line was there. You can try cropping it out, I still haven't figured out why it is happening.

9. Update: while I wasn't able to get rid of the green bar of death, I DID find a way to make it black instead. I was experimenting- I dropped a 'adjust brightness/contrast' effect on the converted HD clip and *bam* green bar went black, and I didn't even have to adjust anything. Now the video just looks like it's a slightly different aspect ratio, but the video isn't cropped too badly- nothing important is cut off (it helps that all the shots were centered pretty well to begin with, giving us a little extra room at the top). Fuck it, I'm happy.

10. that's interesting, not sure that would work for me... but, cool!