Thread: Game On! USA- who remembers this mag?

1. Game On! USA- who remembers this mag?

An ispiration for GameGo!?

A US sister mag to the Japanese Game On! mag. Published be Viz in 1995-96 (97?), it featured content that focused on Japanese games and also had a hefty amount of manga based on games.

It also had a review system very much like GameGo! which had no scoring. The feature articles covered topics that were rarely covered in mags of the time (or of any time, for that matter).

The first issue sported a cover story about the history of Street Fighter and had an article speculating on a match between Terry and Ryu. Other issues featured articles about SNK (a cover story no less), VF3, Square, 3-D fighters, and history of Nintendo.

The manga featured in the mag featured Cammy, Samurai Shodown, and Toshinden. The advertisements featured many import shops- indicating the target demographic this mag had.

Game On! USA lasted less than a year I believe, and was not a superb mag at any length. However, it did try something new, and still is quite interesting to page through...

2. Yup, I remember this mag well. I still have several issues in my possession. I loved the cover they used for their first issue- they had an amazing pic of Cammy that took up the whole cover. They had the Cammy and Samuari Shodown manga series running in the mag each month, and they'd cover anime and video games as well. It was a nice mag. It was a shame it didn't last long.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

3. That era was my favorite game mag era, in which I bought every single magazine I could find, but I never saw this anywhere... Sounds like it was really nice...

4. I have a copy with a Samurai Shodown cover, nice concept for a magazine though it's bit simple and light on info. Still beats alot of magazines today with no import coverage whatsoever. *-neo

5. I remember seeing ads in the back of some manga. or. . . it was in the mail order section anyways. I was always interested in it, but never ordered it. =\

6. Ironically (?), one of the names haohmaru proposed for GameGO! was GameON.
    Become History
    Awesome stuff I'm selling | Backloggery | Tumblr
    2013 Completion (2): PC (1), 360 (1)

7. I had an issue. My eye must have been attracted to it by the blindingly colorful cover. Yeah, it was definitely light on content. Couldn't beat the production values, though.

8. And then we get GameNow!

9. Ha! I happen to have all seven issues of Game On! USA in my possesion (as well as a few repeats), all of them published in 1996. I wished Viz would have published more gaming manga, not just fighting game stuff and Pokemon. At least it lasted longer than GameGO.

1) Street Fighter
    2) VF vs. Tekken vs. Toshinden
    3) SNK
    4) Squaresoft
    5) Virtua Fighter (again)
    6) Super Mario and Nintendo
    7) Tobal No. 1