Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123457 ... LastLast

Thread: Mini-laptop/netbook recommendations

1. My Acer netbook's screen is beautiful. Comics look absolutely superb on it.

I also upgraded mine to 2gb of ram, but even then it still can't play 720p movies without stuttering. It can definitely run every emulator I throw at it though. Third Strike is smooth as butter. I bet I could run CS2 on it if I really really wanted to, just to view files and not do any real work (unless I had an hour to sit there and let it process each little thing).

2. You know, if all you need PS for is cropping and basic cleanup, the PSMobile app on the iPad would def get the job done.
    ABOUT ME.

"Underground music should have its back turned, it needs to be gone, untrackable, unreadable"

3. Yeah, why buy a netbook when Apple has a gadget at twice the price that does the same thing?

4. There we go.
    ABOUT ME.

"Underground music should have its back turned, it needs to be gone, untrackable, unreadable"

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trolled.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	54758  

6. Quote Originally Posted by FirstBlood View Post
    My Acer netbook's screen is beautiful. Comics look absolutely superb on it.

I also upgraded mine to 2gb of ram, but even then it still can't play 720p movies without stuttering. It can definitely run every emulator I throw at it though. Third Strike is smooth as butter. I bet I could run CS2 on it if I really really wanted to, just to view files and not do any real work (unless I had an hour to sit there and let it process each little thing).
    Ooh, that is prety nice. All I need Photoshop for is some basic image manipulation, nothing too large or with too many layers, and that's probably solved by throwing ram at it. Bump that model up to the latest N450 processor and it might be what I need. Researching...

James

7. I brought one to LA last year. It's either an N270 or N280, and that one was able to run Photoshop without any issues. I did bump up the RAM to 2GB though.

I have a feeling that most models out there right now will at least be able to meet your base requirements.

8. also make sure you get at least a 6 cell battery (although I think they're the norm now, the 3 cell on my aspire one launch model has really gone to shit with 75-80% capacity and a whole hour and fifteen minute discharge time w/ wifi on)

9. Post-research- I'm kind of annoyed by how all the netbooks come with Win 7 Starter. Lame/cheap. I mean sure, I don't need to do a million things at once on a 1.66Ghz machine, but it would be nice to be able to do things like change the desktop picture. Plus it seems the latest N450 is simply the previous chip with a better battery life instead of any more power behind it. Other than that, I'm still tempted to go with a netbook simply for the lovely portability of it all.

Meh. Decisions is tough. I'll make up my mind Sunday when I see what my local Best Buy has in stock.

James

10. I'd recommend an Ubuntu netbook, but there's no Photoshop for Linux.

Which sucks :/