Thread: SSD Drives

1. SSD Drives

So I bought a 30gig OCZ SSD drive from newegg.com for around $110 or so (thanks work) and threw it in my laptop today. After the necessary firmware updates and OS tweaks (Win7u) this thing is flying.

I will probably never use nothing but a SSD for my boot drive for the rest of my computing days. Seek times and boot times for this thing are unreal.

Good times.

2. Coupled with Chrome your web experience just runs that faster, damn I love this thing.

Question on that... when you have a secondary data drive, how does that affect the overall speed? Obviously you can't get very many games on a reasonably priced SSD.

4. I would think it would be the same as now, if the game files aren't on the SSD then you wouldn't get any performance gains.

5. I want to get one when the price comes down a bit. Wouldn't mind a 120 gig.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Question on that... when you have a secondary data drive, how does that affect the overall speed? Obviously you can't get very many games on a reasonably priced SSD.
    I think it would depend on the chipset and how the SATA controller is implemented, but the difference between having an SSD and then hooking up a second mechanical HDD would be the same as having one HDD and then hooking up a second. You shouldn't have to worry about bandwidth from a second hard drive choking things up. The interface speed is going to be miles faster than the drives themselves, so you won't lose performance on any drive just by having multiple.

Whatever data is stored on the HDD will only be accessed as quickly as the drive can do so, of course.. if you have your OS on an SSD and your games on an HDD (as I do) you'll still get the incredible read/access times for system files, but games will still only load as quickly as they would from their respective drive in any other configuration.

Regular mechanical hard drives have made huge leaps as far as speed goes in the last few years, too -- don't think that they're all the same. You can get a 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 or WD Caviar Black for a hundred bucks and it will run laps around an older model drive from either of the same companies. These pair up great with an SSD. Or, for a tiny bit more money you could RAID0 a pair of 500GB Caviar Blacks for your games. You'd be hard pressed to complain about loading performance at that point.

SATA3 should be coming into its own now, so this is probably a decent time to do it.