Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1113141516171929 ... LastLast

Thread: Do Any of You Think?

1. Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    There's a dude who had his whole life mapped out for him whether he damn well liked it or not.
    It's not that everything is predetermined, as much as it is that we don't like to look at radomness or variation based on unpredictable quantum factors as "free will" either. If you made a decision and acted according to how you feel, that will is deterministic based on internal and external factors, not free. If shit happened some other way in an non-deterministic way (i.e. random), that's free in a sense, but not will. Either way it isn't free will.

It's one of the stoic's paradoxes introduced thousands of years ago, and no one's done a very good job of solving it to this day (except with shitty concepts like soft determinism that don't really solve it at all).

It's a logically provable fact, as simple as 2+3=5, but people don't like it, so they won't accept it. And I'm not going to sit around and try to convince anyone.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 03 Oct 2010 at 10:26 PM.

2. I don't think about any of this shit because I'm not a faggot

3. Rambo just fucks guys in the ass to prove he doesn't like it. He does this almost every day. That's an awful lot of fucking and sucking, but he has a point to make and when he goes in, he goes in all the way. Just ask any of his also not gay boyfriends. He likes it when they rub their stomach and he can feel it on the tip of his dick, but that's not gay. That's just showing appreciation for what God granted him.

Frogacuda is absolutely right.
    But so is Firstblood Pt. II
    To boldly go where lots of men have gone before...

5. Quote Originally Posted by FirstBlood View Post
    I don't think about any of this shit because I'm not a faggot
    That might be true, or you probably just didn't go to college. You're not missing much though, as unless you go into academia or some parts of law, big questions like these have zero value aside from your own intellectual enrichment, whatever that means.
    Last edited by nocturne; 04 Oct 2010 at 12:25 AM.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    It's not that everything is predetermined, as much as it is that we don't like to look at radomness or variation based on unpredictable quantum factors as "free will" either. If you made a decision and acted according to how you feel, that will is deterministic based on internal and external factors, not free. If shit happened some other way in an non-deterministic way (i.e. random), that's free in a sense, but not will. Either way it isn't free will.

It's one of the stoic's paradoxes introduced thousands of years ago, and no one's done a very good job of solving it to this day (except with shitty concepts like soft determinism that don't really solve it at all).

It's a logically provable fact, as simple as 2+3=5, but people don't like it, so they won't accept it. And I'm not going to sit around and try to convince anyone.
    Thank you for stating so elegantly what I was attempting to . If philosophy has really made headway on any of the big problems it would be the lack of free will and the lack of the existence of a theistic God. But these things are not easily accepted nor easily swallowed so they are not accepted outside of academia as prevalently.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    And I'm not going to sit around and try to convince anyone.

8. This thread sucks.
    Boo, Hiss.

9. Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall View Post
    This thread sucks.
    No one here THINKS WITH THEIR BRAIN.

10. I remember when I first read d'holback and kind of had a revalation about the whole free will thing. An increadibly sound arguement for something I always pretty much felt but could never articulate. Some form of determinism is likely 100% true, although I don't think our monkey brains can conceive of itself as determined in a meaningful way. But yeah free will is a real hard sell imo.