Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 21214151617182030 ... LastLast

Thread: Do Any of You Think?

1. Quote Originally Posted by nocturne View Post
    That might be true, or you probably just didn't go to college.
    The first thing I learned in college was that everyone talking about this shit is a faggot.

2. Quote Originally Posted by FirstBlood View Post
    The first thing I learned in college was that everyone talking about this shit is a faggot.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

3. Quote Originally Posted by FirstBlood View Post
    Not sure how someone in art school can take this stance.

Art, at least, is something tangible. Philosophy is just a bunch of faggots stroking each other off.

yeah, in art they use photoshop and finger paint for that

6. Finger paint is fucking awesome.

7. Especially when you have a chick for a canvas!
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

8. Quote Originally Posted by Rem View Post
    Not sure how someone in art school can take this stance.
    The few people at art school that don't suck at life take this stance. Every other art student is a faggot too.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Art, at least, is something tangible. Philosophy is just a bunch of faggots stroking each other off.

I'm sorry but Art is intangible considering it's purely subjective.( Btw, if you disagree you are using philosophy!). And read some more philosophy before making that claim because it isn't true.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Analytic philosophy is a lot more concrete. It's more like math. Abstract, but verifiable with real world application and meaning.

I think a lot of people associate philosophy with things like existentialism, phenomenology, and eastern religion, which really are a lot of empty pontificating, but hard-nosed analytic philosophy (i.e. what you'd learn at a school with a respected philosophy program) is not really like that.

People also often don't understand that philosophy is less about proving what's true or not true (this is the math equivalent of just trying to prove "754" with no equation). It's about trying to prove which concepts are linked by meaning, and which are contradictory.

This lack of interest is, of course, because analytic philosophy is much more difficult and not as exciting as reading Neitzche. Real philosophy is nerdy as fuck. But useful, and it teaches you how to think.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 04 Oct 2010 at 04:28 PM.