Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2838404142434446 ... LastLast

Thread: Do Any of You Think?

1. I thought this thread was locked 7 years ago. I will think no more.
    "Fiends! Animals! Bastards!"

2. But, you gotta!
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

If Descartes is correct, the Prince Planet no longer exists.

4. more political ideology bong rips from sats.

So, as I was walking in downtown portland the other day, I was dressed in a straight up 80s punk outfit - combat boots, belts, leather jacket, and union jack shirt. Someone leaned out of the window of their car and said (what I think he said anyway, its literally impossible to understand what someone says when they yell from a moving car) "NAZI PUNKS GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY CITY!" Now, I can only assume that he thought my union jack shirt was a confederate flag shirt, which would not only have been stupid of me to wear out in public, but very un-fashionable. I suppose he also could have interpreted the union jack as some sort of white pride thing, which would be a stretch, but possible.

Anyway, as anyone who has been there, knows that Portland is predominately white, and also a big champion of the Social Justice movement, and in recent cases almost ridiculously so (burrito people.) It's rare to see a person of color anywhere in oregon, though Eugene seemed a tad more diverse than PDX overall as far as i could tell from the few days I was there. So, I got to thinking - is the extreme progressive sentiment in Portland an overcorrection for lack of diversity? When a rando white person driving by in a car would pick a rando beef with a chubby jewish girl, I couldn't help but wonder if recent incidents such as the circulation of white restaurants "appropriating" ethnic recipes, the harassment of the burrito people who "stole" the mexican recipe, the shop owner carrying the confederate flag rug and other virtue signals were the very clear result of white guilt in a predominately white area.

Additionally, I noticed that record stores who used to carry Death in June titles when I was there before no longer did (DiJ's record label was denounced by the SPLC - though the record stores did carry Burzum titles, and Varg is an outspoken nazi, go fig) the only store that carried anything mildly "subversive" was 2nd Ave Records, a metal record store. So, as i combed through the stores of downtown, and among the vast sea of white faces, I wondered about virtue signaling and its effect on the population. Is a calling out of white people an effective tool of change, when a city is unnaturally devoid of people of color? How does one reconcile the fact that out of thousands of restaurants in portland, only 60 or so are owned by blacks? OSU only has a 1.4% enrollment of black or african american students, though oregon rates 8th in the US of percentage of people with bachelor's degrees. Etc., etc. I don't really have any solutions or suggestions, it's just a bong rip thought, but the yelling car man made me think about society and diverse populations (or not) in urban areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

5. People need purpose. Getting on a soap box can fix those idle hands.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

6. I think he was catcalling. "Nazi punk, let me fuck out of pity!"
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

a nazi punk jewish girl would probably be some insane sex.

Multiply layers of daddy issues. Grandpa, and great grandpa issues.

8. Your problem is that you were in downtown Portland. If you venture anywhere outside of that, it's just a slightly odd city. Portland absolutely loves its SJW image, and it's usually used as virtue signaling to no-one in particular - since it's almost wholly white. It's a moment they'll post about on Facebook later about how they did The Right Thing, and all their white friends will join in condemning you without knowing anything about it. Back-pats and high-fives all around. We Did It!
    Boo, Hiss.

9. Not the same thing, but the other day I was drinking a bottle of Perrier while driving and some dude in a truck was like "YEAH WAHOOOOOOOOOO!!" and gave me the hang loose sign.

If they are so progressive, how do they explain such a lack of diversity? You pay lip service all you want, but the numbers don't lie and they tell me that there are serious problem.