Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 33434546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: Do Any of You Think?

1. Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Can art cross cultures or is it bound to the culture which creates it? If so, at what point does it become cultural appropriation?
    ahhhhhhh i hate when you ask this stuff bc i've read so much about it but when it comes time to actually prove I've read one of the thousands of essays I've actually read, i forget where i read them.

But yes, it absolutely can cross cultures, see: hello kitty, various music, certain food.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

2. Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Can art cross cultures or is it bound to the culture which creates it?
    It absolutely should cross cultures, and there ideally should be no problem with that. I recognize, though, that isn't the case in today's world.

Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Cultural appropriation isn't real.
    I get the sense we're on the same page here as far as background thought for this: Caring about/being proud of being from a particular culture is silly and pointless. (I could be wrong or communicating it incorrectly, my apologies if so.)

So here's the question: How much of our feeling on that stems from the circumstances of our upbringing? How much credence do we lend to something like that when the ultimate good for all societies on earth is miscegenation? I ask because I don't like the idea that someone could be demonized as a culture thief for making some really good samosas in Whitesville, Nebraska - but I'm also sensitive to the concern that people do "borrow" traditional elements of a culture with the direct intent of profiting off the authenticity of those elements but not being concerned about the culture overall ... if that makes any sense.

3. Do Any of You Think?

No, being proud of the culture from whence you come or your peoples’ history is fine. But it’s not exclusive to you, especially once other cultures interact with it. A multicultural society or separate and distinct cultures, pick one. Elements will get integrated and mixed over time in response to other pressures and dynamics, as it always is. A guy in Nebraska making samosas will not give a shit about your samosa culture as much as you will, deal with it. He likes samosas because they taste good and you can’t put samosa knowledge exclusive. If you want to do that then you should never have talked to Nebraskans in the first place.
    Last edited by Diff-chan; 07 Nov 2017 at 08:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    I don't know, I would say that minorities trying to come up with guilt free forms of prejudiced and self inflected segregation so they can both participate in hate while holding onto a culture of victimization, is pretty real.
    *COUGH*

Most of the time, complaints of appropriation are a mix of elitism and prejudice. It comes from the same place in the gut that twist when your favorite band becomes popular and you see a Philistine enjoying them. "How dare they, that is mine"

But that is the nature of 2017 us capatilism. There is nothing it will not devour, distort and then slut out for a buck. I can buy captain America and acdc shirts at walmart for christ sake. If someone will buy it 19.99, someone will provide a shitty version of it.

It's not a white on nonwhite thing. It's a money thing.

Like me and ic could start a cornbread bisket company. If it got successful, kraft or someone would buy us out or build a copy then over market us, destroying us. They would probably make them in Ohio or some nowhere place that has nothing to do with cornbread.

It's not about culture. These people have no culture. It's about board meetings and money and metrics. How do they increase market share so they can get a bigger bonus and go to Hawaii and play golf.

6. There is a god.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

7. Checkmate Atheists.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

8. I'm going to make the fuck out of those and report back.

Stop appropriating my culture.