Thread: My Dreamcast died...

1. My Dreamcast died...

So a year back I bought a used DC from Play'n'Trade in Clermont. Back in April, I wanna say, said Play'n'Trade shut down, and being that they are independently owned (and have a tendency of being dicks), I'm stuck with a dead DC. I've tried air-canning it, but no dice. The power light will come on for a second, then it'll die out again.

Anything I can do? Don't care to chuck it, or run into the same problem with another unit, so any suggestions?

2. Put it in a Blendtec

3. I bet Josh will come into this thread and say he's got a couple that are boxed that you should buy. Which you should.

4. Does the system restart (known issue, easy fix), or does it just turn off completely (no idea)?

5. Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    So a year back I bought a used DC from Play'n'Trade in Clermont. Back in April, I wanna say, said Play'n'Trade shut down, and being that they are independently owned (and have a tendency of being dicks), I'm stuck with a dead DC.
    Wait, are you saying that if they were still open they should be obligated to replace the used system they sold you a year ago? I'd like to find a used game shop with that kind of warranty on their used products, what can you recommend?
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster (PC), Let's Build a Zoo (PC) & Despot's Game (PC)

Get Free Bitcoins every hour! - www.freebitco.in

Quote Originally Posted by Dyne View Post
    I bet Josh will come into this thread and say he's got a couple that are boxed that you should buy. Which you should.
    I was actually going to say "shove it up your ass" but this works too.

By the way, I want bank for them. I have dollar signs in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Timber View Post
    what can you recommend?
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    shove it up your ass

8. Quote Originally Posted by køda View Post
    Does the system restart (known issue, easy fix), or does it just turn off completely (no idea)?
    I press the start button, the light comes on for a split second, then it's off again, as is the system. No BIOS, no nothing.

And Josh, you're one of the meanest son of a bitches in the state of Maryland...

9. Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    I press the start button, the light comes on for a split second, then it's off again, as is the system. No BIOS, no nothing
    Well, I was looking around a bit, and apparently if your fan isn't spinning the system will detect it and shut off immediately -- so it's possible that you've just got to replace the fan. I'm not sure exactly what size it is.. probably a 40mm or 60mm.. you'll need to make sure you get one with the third wire for the sensor.

That would be a pretty simple fix if that was the case.

If that doesn't do it, you might still take a look at the powerboard... the pins get hot and flex away from their connectors which can causes the system to randomly restart. When you take the top of the system off, facing you, the powerboard is towards the bottom-left side. You can pull it straight up, flex the pins gently, and then put it back together. This has always worked wonders in my experience.. if the fan thing doesn't pan out and you want to give it a shot I can point you towards more detailed instructions with pictures, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Josh, you're one of the meanest son of a bitches in the state of Maryland...
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    shove it up your ass