Thread: Unreal Development Kit

1. Unreal Development Kit

http://www.udk.com/

Epic released a completely free standalone UE3 development kit for making games. This is really fucking sweet. I was thinking yesterday how much it sucked that if I wanted to make something with UE3, I'd have to make a mod for a game that wasn't super mod-friendly that nobody played anyway. Or I'd have to use Source, which just isn't as friendly.

UE3 game editors are just so awesome to work with.

I guess they've got an extensive dev journal of a demo game made by two people in two months:

Click for full size

I guess you can even sell your game, but it sounds like that end of the spectrum isn't all that great, license-wise. Still, whatever, this is fun to play with.
    Last edited by Tain; 18 Jun 2010 at 06:27 PM.

2. It sounds like they are trying to make it something of a recruitment tool while at the same time making the engine a standard.

3. Epic's been all about schools teaching UE3, so yeah, pretty much.

4. Yeah, it's obviously a ploy to increase market share and make money, but it's a positive way to go about that, so more power to 'em.

5. This uses UE3.5, rather than UT3's UE3.0. It's got a better fake global illumination system. Even plain-ass test maps look kinda nice with the GI + ambient occlusion.

Click for full size

Thing is, UDK comes with a demo version of UT3. Why the shit can't they patch UT3 to use this version of the engine? It honestly looks and runs way better than UT3 Black.
    Last edited by Rumpy; 06 Nov 2009 at 02:46 PM. Reason: holy simg tag

6. So it's been about half a year since this was released. Epic has been pretty awesome about it, including all sorts of new shit every month. I'm surprised and impressed that they've made the free UDK package the leading version of the engine. The Content Blog keeps track of these things. Some are small, but hell, they just added Scaleform (in-engine flash interpreter, allowing designers to make menus and shit in flash and have it run efficiently in-game) to the engine for everybody to play with.

I showed my roommates ahl_5am a while ago, and we've played tons of maps that focused on coop secrets since then. I then figured I'd make a secret-oriented map, and since I couldn't pick a game, I just busted out UDK, tweaked the player movement to be a little more like Half-Life, and started mapping.

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size

Don't want to give away too much, secret-wise. It's not the best-looking map/game around, but I'm having fun! Lots of textures were from Max Payne (free to use, apparently), and I didn't go shader-crazy. Going for the look of an HL mod without making one, I guess.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Highres_Screenshot_00006.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	200.5 KB 
ID:	56412   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Highres_Screenshot_00007.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	332.5 KB 
ID:	56413   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Highres_Screenshot_00008.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	184.5 KB 
ID:	56414   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Highres_Screenshot_00009.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	193.3 KB 
ID:	56415  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Highres_Screenshot_00010.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	139.8 KB 
ID:	56416   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Highres_Screenshot_00011.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	240.0 KB 
ID:	56417   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Highres_Screenshot_00012.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	369.4 KB 
ID:	56418  
    Last edited by Tain; 18 Jun 2010 at 06:41 PM.