Page 108 of 119 FirstFirst ... 94104106107108109110112 ... LastLast
Results 1,071 to 1,080 of 1185

Thread: The Walking Dead

1. It was okay. Say what you will about last season's cliffhanger (I thought it was effective, personally), but at least that got people talking.

2. Last season's cliffhanger is why half the audience jumped ship. Yeah, it got people talking, and they tuned in for the conclusion, but it was cheap, it deflated the drama of the moment and traded it for some "Who Shot Mr. Burns" gimmick, and after the season premier, the ratings fell off a cliff. Didn't really matter what they did for the rest of the season, no one was watching.

This season had a lot of filler and garbage episodes, but the finale was actually very good.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 05 Apr 2017 at 10:13 AM.

3. I said the cliffhanger was effective, and it was. As you said, it got people talking, and they all tuned in for the conclusion. The cliffhanger did it's job.

However, I didn't say the payoff was effective. It certainly wasn't.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

4. Had that moment Glen simply been allowed to just happen -- and had it not immediately followed another painfully drawn out fake-death cliffhanger involving the same fucking character -- it would have been a lot more effective and less frustrating, and wouldn't have led to people just turning the show off. That moment existed in the comics and it was devastating, but it was a dramatic crescendo instead of a jumping of the shark.

Good storytelling is also a way to make sure people tune in next season. They should try that.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 05 Apr 2017 at 11:46 AM.

5. Way too much bullet dodging and and an improbably disciplined battle cat.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Had that moment Glen simply been allowed to just happen -- and had it not immediately followed another painfully drawn out fake-death cliffhanger involving the same fucking character -- it would have been a lot more effective and less frustrating, and wouldn't have led to people just turning the show off. That moment existed in the comics and it was devastating, but it was a dramatic crescendo instead of a jumping of the shark.

Good storytelling is also a way to make sure people tune in next season. They should try that.
    I actually stopped reading the comic at the same moment I stopped watching the show. At that same point.
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

7. The cast is too big and that leads to the pacing problems. The way to end last season was to kill Abraham. Then have the season 7 premiere play out as it did. I think that would have worked out better with no cliff hanger ending. When this premiere happened it was too much of a plateau, there's nothing they could have done to reach that level of intensity and importance.

The rest of the season kept recycling how dangerous Negan is (his monologues are fucking terrible to sit through everytime he shows up) and how Ezekial didn't want to fight the saviors. Add in the re-neutered Carol, which everyone hates, and you have a show that felt like it was riding the breaks for most of the run. While some good moments happend in the end, that battle was terribly shot. I guess they ran out of money because it was mostly a montage of people shooting off screen. It was impossible to tell what was happening and no one ever seemed to be in danger aside from Michonne. When they stop fighting it felt about as meaningful as a shrug. "Well, something happened there."

8. I expect the whole series is going to be fan-edited down to something watchable at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

9. Quote Originally Posted by Rumpy View Post
    While some good moments happend in the end, that battle was terribly shot. I guess they ran out of money because it was mostly a montage of people shooting off screen. It was impossible to tell what was happening and no one ever seemed to be in danger
    It really was terribly shot. The editing, camera angles, and overall flow of the entire segment really seemed off, as if it was being directed by someone who had no idea how to stage action scenes. And even the music was guilty of fucking up, like how it started building and building to a climax as the Saviors where retreating, making you think something horrible was about to happen, and then...nothing. Saviors are gone, all is well, but the tense music is still building for some odd reason.

That said, am I the only one who noticed that Negan's weapon of choice during the final shootout was a direct homage to Escape from New York?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

10. Very telling that no one around here is talking about this. At all.