Page 13 of 119 FirstFirst ... 911121314151727 ... LastLast

Thread: The Walking Dead

1. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    I'll watch more episodes, but you're all fooling yourselves if you think the room of 20 people watching this at a party all magically came to the same wrong conclusion about too much down time in a first episode.
    Ah, you follow the "is it fun for 20 people at a party" method of judging creative works.

You must hate the shit out of books.

Edit: Lol. Yeller and I both like this phrasing, apparently.
    Last edited by Cheebs; 02 Nov 2010 at 09:23 AM.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Cheebs View Post
    Zuh? Almost every minute was filled with some sort of tension or character moment.
    Honestly it was the best part of the show. The Atlanta zombie swarm at the end was good, but the entirety of this show so far (1 episode, so it's yet to be seen how it evolves) was built around the suspense of the main characters. The black dude struggling with shooting his wife, and in the end failing was really great. I can't wait to see who he meets next and where the story takes him.

Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    I'll watch more episodes, but you're all fooling yourselves if you think the room of 20 people watching this at a party all magically came to the same wrong conclusion about too much down time in a first episode.
    It's easy to see how a room of 20 people can be wrong. One person makes a statement (usually the person who is the most vocal about watching the show or movies - the "expert"), a few people agree and mob mentality takes over. I guarantee you some people thought it was perfect and just said ok to blend in. The show's pace is refreshingly not MTV show making, and it was nice to see a director have patience with his material.

And this was the first episode. So much of it is exposition to the audience, anyway. For the first episode of a new series they did a really good job.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 02 Nov 2010 at 10:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

3. This show is not nearly as good as that show Jackass. I know this because I had 40 people over, and we were switching the channel between the two and Jackass got much better reactions.

4. In all fairness, I saw Jackass 3D over the weekend and it was fucking great.

5. You guys are all taking this very hard, I wasn't aware that I was insulting all of your life's work by saying that the black guy talking over dramatic and being boring for 90% of his screen time would upset you all so badly. As much everyone keeps saying it must be Jackass and not reading books that makes me feel this way, I have to come to some conclusion about what you guys watch and enjoy that makes you think that someone's terrible acting and pacing is both good and beyond critique. The guy talking in a shitty sounding, over dramatic and under his breath manner every time he talked and it got annoying and old and boring. When he almost shot his wife, now that was rad. When the Sheriff did, well, anything, also very good because he is a good actor. All the shots of wrecked cities, interactions with zombies (especially the wife and chick cut in half) were very entertaining. I also loved the horse and the ending in the city; the later of which wasn't especially good because of the action but because of the mysterious voice at the end on the radio.

I said I liked everything else about the episode, yet you guys are taking this extremely fucking hard. Low self esteem much? Are you all going to cry because I don't agree with you and your feelings are hurt? I said some parts were boring for a first episode and they were, not because they didn't have action, but because they were fucking boring and the guy doing the talking sucked and we have no attachment to him; if you read the comics your opinions are distorted because you probably knew who that guy was and you therefor gave a shit about him whining nonstop, but for people fresh to the universe it's just not entertaining to listen to his shit acting for ten minutes out of an hour premiere, I would have rather had the Sheriff do more wandering.
    Last edited by Opaque; 02 Nov 2010 at 01:15 PM.

6. The problem with the feedback you're supplying is it describes 90% of entertainment on TV. I personally don't want another break neck show shoveling dialogue and action in to the story for no real reason. It's well and fine, but it's rampant. The last 10 minutes of zombie's eating the horse was enough. Too much of that and the entire show loses its entire appeal (maybe an episode or two like that, I don't know).

I personally like the downtime - it's actually one of if not the best quality this show demonstrated in its premiere. I also didn't even notice the black guys voice. I don't think anybody really cares about you or your friends' opinion. Just the sentiment behind it. Luckily enough for everyone who enjoys it as-is Darabont seems happy with the way the pace is set from the interview posted earlier.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 02 Nov 2010 at 01:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

7. It didn't have to be action or dialogue, when did I every say that? The only thing I said was boring WAS dialogue. Stop strawmanning me.

It just had to be anything other than that guy talking about how hard everything is. It's a fucking zombie apocalypse, of course it's hard. My favorite part of that entire episode was when he is going down the freeway towards the city, and there was no action or dialogue there, just a really good shot that filled you with emotion and understanding of the severity of the situation. The black guy crying for ten minutes did nothing for me, if you all liked it awesome, but I thought the show would have been better off with less of that and more of the other elements the show brought to the table. Again: I'm not asking for more action, stop assuming that boring must mean not enough explosions.
    Last edited by Opaque; 02 Nov 2010 at 01:26 PM.

8. I could have sworn this was the warcraft thread...

9. WTF GUYS ARTHAS DIED LIKE A PUSSY

I'm up to issue 52 from yesterday, when I hadn't given a second thought to the franchise. Good stuff.

People complaining about spoilers for this remind me of the ones who did the same thing with the LOTR movies, except that was way more hilarious.

Holy shit his wife, Tyreese, and pretty much almost everyone. The end of season 2 will be HUGE.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery