Page 1 of 23 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: TNL 4.1: Significant Improvements, Major Downtime

1. News TNL 4.1: Significant Improvements, Major Downtime

The forum will be inaccessible starting the night of Thursday, June 10, and probably well into Friday, June 11. The database will undergo significant maintenance and various improvements will be made during that time.

01) While the forum is down, you will be able to access a live group chat where you can get updates and continue your TNL-ing ways.

02) We will be introducing blogs as part of the upgrade. They will be tied in to your forum account, and you will be able to start a fresh blog entry or promote an existing forum post to a blog (with its own comments section).

03) There will be a Facebook-style chat added where you can talk one-on-one with other forum members straight from whatever page you're on, without having to go through PMs. You will also be able to start a bigger chatroom right on TNL.

04) There will be a dedicated media section where you can link videos from YouTube, Metacafe, Vimeo, Game Trailers, and a lot of other places. You can search for a video based on tags, subject, who posted it, etc., and leave comments. There will also be a mechanism by which you can directly upload your own videos and audio files for others to enjoy, rate, and comment on.

05) Active users will be recognized with achievements that will display in their user profile and in their posts. Quality posters who might not post as frequently will be recognized in a similar fashion. The TNL Legends process will also be streamlined.

06) Subscribers will be able to create their own badges for other members, which will be given out solely at my discretion (to prevent abuse). This sounds like a bad idea, but I think it all will work out very well if we give it a chance.

07) I am putting in about fifty hand-picked arcade games initially, with a full tournament system and leaderboards.

08) There will likely be at least two options for mobile phone browsers that don't use one of the main forum skins.

09) The existing skins will be cleaned up significantly to remove excess gradients, blocky graphics, and other eyesores. One or two current skins will be removed entirely, but another two or three will replace them.

10) When everything goes back up, the site may or may not run a little more slowly for some users at first. I will try to preload some of the new images over the next week and during the chat event to alleviate some of that, and cka and I are implementing other steps behind the scenes to get TNL as fast as it can be.

Any questions or suggestions? Post 'em here.
    Last edited by Nick; 04 Jun 2010 at 01:43 PM.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

05) Active users will be recognized with achievements that will display in their user profile and in their posts. Quality posters who might not post as frequently will be recognized in a similar fashion.

How is this different from the useless rep we have going now?

Also, this coincides nicely with Josh getting a bigger monitor and hard drive. Are you guys gonna let him leave the house?

3. Part of it will be automated and the other part will be my direct responsibility. I hope to reward some of the less squeaky wheels around here and provide some more eye candy and another level of attachment.

4. So is the current rep staying or is that getting nuked?

5. Please don't drop TNL Classic Remix. It's the only skin I can tolerate.

6. Ice Stage is the only way to go. Hope it stays around, or at least something similar replaces it.

Everything sounds great though.
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster (PC), Let's Build a Zoo (PC) & Despot's Game (PC)

Get Free Bitcoins every hour! - www.freebitco.in

7. The rep system is staying. There will still be a Classic skin - and I think you'll like it more.

8. Would anyone like to see the trade section altered? Do you think we can do something to get people to use it more, or is it pretty much going to be what it is now?

Also, speaking of the trade section, I plan to introduce at least one blog with daily deals on games, movies, etc., from various vendors.

And Ice Stage will be replaced, but there will be a similarly colored theme.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Would anyone like to see the trade section altered? Do you think we can do something to get people to use it more, or is it pretty much going to be what it is now?

Also, speaking of the trade section, I plan to introduce at least one blog with daily deals on games, movies, etc., from various vendors.
    A feedback system would be nice in the trade section, it works really well over at CAG.

And let me know if you need any help with the daily deals blog, I'm scanning CAG almost daily so I see most deals when they pop up.
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster (PC), Let's Build a Zoo (PC) & Despot's Game (PC)

Get Free Bitcoins every hour! - www.freebitco.in

10. I don't think there's anything wrong with the way the trade section is now. We just need moderation in it. There is no reason for every one of kevicals threads to get carpet bombed with asshole replies for instance. And it's not just his threads. It's forum wide. The issue with the mods now is that everybody is starting to know everyone irl and actual moderation is almost non-existent here anymore. Maybe bring on some new mods and demote others that are within certain circles. There's a growing desire for people to jump into threads they have no business being in in the first place, just to make a witty remark and hope somebody reps them. This is why I say rep right now is pointless and why it will always be until it is regulated somehow. There should be a stopgap where each time somebody wants to rep another, it's sent to a group of mods designated just for that purpose. Once it's deemed as genuine, fine....apply it to the poster. This may or may not be your intention with the new achievements. We also just need people to want to sell stuff. This may or may not be hand in hand with worrying about sale threads being cluttered with "HAHAHA SHITS TOO EXPENSIVE FAGGOT!" every time somebody wants to sell something.
    Last edited by Dyne; 04 Jun 2010 at 02:16 PM.