Page 16 of 91 FirstFirst ... 21214151617182030 ... LastLast

Thread: Android Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Because it is no longer 1998, and progress marches on.
    I was implying that, in response to yeller.

God damn it josh, this is the like the third time this month you've called my shit with my own shit.

Often times you can download DVD rips with multiple audio tracks. Commentary is usually one of them. I'm not really aware of anyone (besides that mst3k dude) doing what you're talking about, but I've never really looked.

Quote Originally Posted by Nash View Post
    From what you've described, it sounds like the Motorola Atrix. If you're into modding at all, it's not the phone you want because Motorola has gone through great lengths to lock it. But if you don't care about that stuff, it's the best-performing Android phone on the market right now (from what I've read).
    Yeah, the Atrix.

I don't know if I like that it is so well locked. If I wanted a locked phone, I'd just get the newest apple product (which may not even be as locked as this thing?)

Part of the reason I wanted it was to force engineering software and music shit on it. I thought it would be rad if I could work on stuff and take my work with me everywhere without having to shut shit down.

4. IP, do you have a carrier preference? The Atrix is AT&T-only I believe. IMO, the laptop attachment is gimmicky and I'm very skeptical of its utility. The phone otherwise is supposed to be one of the higher-end Android phones right now. Most modern Androids have HDMI output for connecting to a TV, and I imagine Bluetooth keyboard is easy to set up.

On Verizon there's the HTC Thunderbolt which has true 4G (LTE) for ridiculous download speeds. And ridiculous battery life (as in, not good). I've no idea what LTE coverage is like in Mississippi.

Personally, I wouldn't get any Android device that isn't stock Android, and preferably one that's a Google halo device. Right now that means the Nexus S, which is on T-Mobile and Sprint. Its specs aren't quite up to what the lastest phones are sporting, but IMO it's worth it for 1) not having sluggish UI layers (Motoblur, TouchWiz, Sense) which sort of negate the speed advantage anyway, and 2) having the latest version of Android, which brings new features and again sort of negates the speed advantage of other devices. I would imagine the Nexus S has the best compatibility with apps, but I could be wrong--that's just conjecture.

Also, I am pretty sure iPhone is easier to jailbreak than Motorola phones. It's probably easier/more user-friendly than any Android because jailbreaking iPhones is made for the masses. (Again, just conjecture. I'm not interested in hacking shit anymore. I'm too old for that crap.)
    Last edited by MarkRyan; 16 May 2011 at 11:46 PM.

5. The Atrix is lame. The laptop dock is too expensive. It costs as much as a regular laptop. It has fake 4g that runs at the same speed as 3g. And AT&T is the most consumer unfriendly carrier. Wait for the Galaxy S 2, Evo 3D, or pick your fav verizon/sprint/tmo phone.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRyan View Post
    IP, do you have a carrier preference? The Atrix is AT&T-only I believe. IMO, the laptop attachment is gimmicky and I'm very skeptical of its utility. The phone otherwise is supposed to be one of the higher-end Android phones right now. Most modern Androids have HDMI output for connecting to a TV, and I imagine Bluetooth keyboard is easy to set up.

On Verizon there's the HTC Thunderbolt which has true 4G (LTE) for ridiculous download speeds. And ridiculous battery life (as in, not good). I've no idea what LTE coverage is like in Mississippi.

Personally, I wouldn't get any Android device that isn't stock Android, and preferably one that's a Google halo device. Right now that means the Nexus S, which is on T-Mobile and Sprint. Its specs aren't quite up to what the lastest phones are sporting, but IMO it's worth it for 1) not having sluggish UI layers (Motoblur, TouchWiz, Sense) which sort of negate the speed advantage anyway, and 2) having the latest version of Android, which brings new features and again sort of negates the speed advantage of other devices. I would imagine the Nexus S has the best compatibility with apps, but I could be wrong--that's just conjecture.

Also, I am pretty sure iPhone is easier to jailbreak than Motorola phones. It's probably easier/more user-friendly than any Android because jailbreaking iPhones is made for the masses. (Again, just conjecture. I'm not interested in hacking shit anymore. I'm too old for that crap.)
    I'll take your comments into consideration. I have AT&T for what it is worth.

I might switch to Verizon. Oddly enough, my town is the only one getting 4G from them this year. AT&T is worse. I think I'll be lucky if they get 3G covere on the whole state by the end of the year.

8. I have a Droid 2, does every single thing I'd want out of it. Also looks like a Star Wars robot, which gets fun reactions sometimes!

Tap2Talk is good for TNL, internet browser does a good job, and the Amazon market competing with the Android market seems to be a good thing so far. Call quality is generally nice, sneaky-mode tethering does what I want it to, and I can turn off 3G with a 3rd party app if I need to conserve battery (smartphones DESTROY your battery if you run all the bells and whistles all the time, what a surprise right).

Ang Lee Birds is quite good, too. The story was written in 1950, and was loosely based on an actual event that took place in 1939–1940 in Japanese-occupied Shanghai, China, during World War II. So I understand.

-----

Anyway, long story short, a phone as a portable computer/communications device is enough. You don't need that laptop bullshit, move past it. I know you think you do, but you don't.

What if you get a call in laptop mode? Snatch that phone right out of that shit? Or are you really going to put a bluetooth piece in your ear?
    Last edited by YellerDog; 17 May 2011 at 11:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

will it throw itself away when you tire of it?

Why are you such a bastard?