Page 1 of 91 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Android Thread

1. Android Thread

I'm sitting around bored because I took off work so I don't miss the Fed Ex guy (also my dog is sick and I didn't want to leave him alone). My Evo will be here any minute. It's my first Android phone, so what free aps do I want?

Anyway, we needed this thread so I made it. Android impressions to come later

I read this as Arnold Thread, and I was so ready to contribute

3. Well, Arnold played an android on many occasions so I'll allow it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arnold_schwarzenegger-terminator-3.jpg 
Views:	1786 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	55188  

Cybernetic organism...

5. Good thread, I was wondering when someone would start an Android thread just today. Here are a few that I found to be awesome/extremely helpful.

- Pandora - You select a band/artist/song and this app makes a radio station for you out of their songs and any from similar bands/artists/songs.

- Ringdroid - this lets you create ringtones out of any songs. It also lets you select exactly what part of the song to use.

- Where - This is a great app. It helps you find whatever you are looking for. Restaurants, Movies, Gas prices, the list goes on and on. It really is a killer app. Yelp is a very similar app.

- Astrid - Is a task manager app. It also has a widget so you can keep it on a home screen with constant updates.

- Astro - This is a file manager app. Not only can you manage files but you can also back up all of the apps on your phone to the SD card. You might not need it often, but it's great if/when you do.

- Shop Savvy - A barcode scanner that tells you the best prices locally and online.

- Movies - A movie app that gives you all local movie showings. You can watch trailers in app and I think you might even be able to order tickets with it.

- Shazam - This is for those songs you hear on the radio but you don't know who they are. Just start the app and hold it up to the speaker. It will tell you the artist and give you an option to go watch the Youtube video for it.

- Grocery IQ - This is a really good grocery list app. There are a bunch of different ones available so see which one you like.

- QueueMan - This is a Netflix app that allows you to update your queue on the fly. Obviously useless if you don't use Netflix.

- Key Ring - This app allows you to scan in all of your membership cards to various stores ( Best Buy, GameStop, Shop Rite, etc) so you can just use them from the phone instead of having to carry around a shit load of cards for various stores.

- Epicurious - A great recipe app. There are a TON of recipes in here and it also helps you put together grocery lists for its recipes.

- CalWidget - this is a widget that works with Google calender. It goes onto a home screen so you can easily see the next months worth of appointments.

- Engadget - I use the widget for this app so I can constantly see all of the goings on in the gadget world. A must if you love to be kept up to date on electronics.

- Gaming Buzz - Pretty much does the same thing as the Engadget app/widget but with gaming news. A must have for TNLers with Android for obvious reasons. I love this widget.

- Amazon - I'm not sure your phone didn't come with this already installed but my Droid didn't. It's fantastic for one touch ordering on Amazon.

- Mint.com Personal Finance - The name really says it all. Apparently Intuit (the company behind Quicken) was so impressed with this app that they bought the company that made it. I don't personally use this but I've heard great things about it.

That should get you started. There is so much more available. Be sure to post any good/fun apps you find. It would be great if everyone that has an Android phone would pitch in here. We could help each other out a ton with info.

6. I've been poking around my phone for the last 30 min. The customization is pretty overwhelming at first. Also learning how to navigate since I never had a device like this before. Thanks for that post Glass Joe, gives me a lot to look into.

7. I'm due for an upgrade in 2 months and I'm thinking of going with the Droid Incredible. I've gotten to play with Truck's Droid before and I dig what I've seen of Android.
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster (PC), Let's Build a Zoo (PC) & Despot's Game (PC)

Get Free Bitcoins every hour! - www.freebitco.in

8. Quote Originally Posted by stormy View Post
    I've been poking around my phone for the last 30 min. The customization is pretty overwhelming at first. Also learning how to navigate since I never had a device like this before. Thanks for that post Glass Joe, gives me a lot to look into.
    I remember feeling the same way when I got mine for Xmas. It was the first device I owned like this too and it was a bit overwhelming. Just remember that the Menu button usually gives you different options depending on the app so be sure to press it in all of your apps to see what it does. Also, a long press usually does something different than a quick tap.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Timber View Post
    I'm due for an upgrade in 2 months and I'm thinking of going with the Droid Incredible. I've gotten to play with Truck's Droid before and I dig what I've seen of Android.
    in 2 months the incredible will be old and busted. the new hotness will be the motorola shadow.

12 megapixel, 720P video, bitches.

my fave apps:

Paper toss. its the best on the toilet game ever.

Slacker Radio: Why Pandora is more popular than this confuses the shit out of me. The library here is at least 4 times bigger.

Cardio Trainer: track your running/walking/jogging/biking via gps, track calories burned, speed, elevation increases. even has extra modules you can buy to essentually race a ghost of yourself on the same route....
    “The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, you know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin