Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1222242526

Thread: 2010 NHL Offseason Thread

1. Just so I'm clear while you're here chest pounding. Do you enjoy fighting in the NHL? As for your previous post, I have no response.

2. Do I enjoy it? I like boxing. I think fighting is a little outdated and dangerous to the players but it can be fun to watch. I wouldn't be sorry either way if it stays or goes. I understand the role it's supposed to play, to protect your team mates from bullying or cheap shots. I understand that its been neutered by the instigator rule and thus made into a show where fighters arrange ahead of time if they are going to scrap that night.

As to your lack of response about my previous response, good.

3. I don't see how you can say fighting is good but gestures are not. Kids are going to see fighting and copy that as well, will they not?

4. Oh we're still discussing this?

Fine. Fighting is already against the rules but is tolerated by the league because there is a tradition of fighting in the game. There is momentum building to get rid of it but for now its there. Fighting can at least be defended as sticking up for your teamates and all that. Making gestures, SPECIFICALLY gestures that imply "I'm going to slit your throat" is not tolerated and never will be tolerated. It's a classless act. In a game where you are holding one weapon and standing on two others, allowing people to make those kinds of gestures, allowing it to seep into the culture of the game as being tolerable, will only lead to somebody lying dead on the ice. Clint Malarchuk nearly had his head sliced off by accident a few years back, so don't tell me it's impossible. People can already get crazy enough on the ice. Todd Bertuzzi comes to mind.

And if that's not enough for you then goody for you. Enjoy the bush league antics.

predictions predictions we need predictions in now.

I want to pick Vancouver to win it all this year but I can't do that in good faith to any of my instincts.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

6. Thank goodness the season finally starts Thursday.

Should we post predictions (haven't thought of them yet myself) in this or the new season thread?

Dunno.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

8. New season thread.