Thread: Bump Threads / Dump Threads

1. Bump Threads / Dump Threads

Bumps
    I'd rather have one thread on a related subject with gaps of several months or years, than to have multiple threads where if you have to use the shitty search function to find and quote a discussion you had beforehand.

Not so say I haven't bumped useless polls for laughs.

But in the last example, we did not have a dedicated Facebook thread and LOL FaceBook was a good title.

Dumps
    I also want to bitch about Todays Random News, YouTube Abuse, and I Just Watched/Listened, as being virtually worthless for genuinely interesting, new stories.

So...
    If it's new news -- create a thread for it, or bump an old thread on the same subject.
    If it's old news -- use one of those otherwise useless threads.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

2. I don't have any problems with legitimate bumps of old topics. Some of those old discussions are pretty interesting to read through. It's largely the same membership anyway. And I have said before that some stories people try to shoehorn into Random News should have their own threads.

But "LOL Facebook" is and was a stupid title. It should have at least had more information in it.

If titles were more specific (granted, they are most of the time) and people relaxed about old threads, it would be a smoother ride. Also, if there's likely to be more than three or four posts' worth of interest in a game, give it its own thread. Not every Xbox Live game has to be limited to the Xbox Live thread.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Bumps
    I'd rather have one thread on a related subject with gaps of several months or years, than to have multiple threads where if you have to use the shitty search function to find and quote a discussion you had beforehand.
    Indeed. The last thing I want this place to be is NeoGAF, where every single new piece of news on a particular game/topic is given its own thread.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

4. At the same time, it might be nice to not have to pick through the posts of a fifteen-page all-in-one thread to read about a game. Some deserving topics get wedged into catchall threads and don't get the exposure they should.

It's not a big deal, but I'm sure we'd get more users posting on certain games if those games had their own subjects. And it would be less of a scavenger hunt.

The status quo is fine, but I'm wondering if topics about games, news, music, etc., couldn't be handled better. It seems to me that Cinemania doesn't have this problem quite as much.

5. I mean, I think if earth-shattering announcements are made, then yeah, give them their own threads! But, for example, talk of the Transformers demo that just hit the Xbox Live Marketplace is in the thread created for the game; the thread was bumped, you see new posts, you know something is up. I like that.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

6. Good luck on waiting for an earth-shattering announcement.

I think a demo hitting isn't threadworthy in itself, but if it is a higher-profile game or otherwise noteworthy, it's okay to give it a topic. If there will be, say, twenty posts on Game A in the next month, isn't it better for those to be all together in their own area rather than sprinkled among ten posts about Game B, seven posts about Game C, and various comments about how someone's Internet connection sucks or how cute the new avatar outfits are?

Makes sense to me.

7. Ah, I see what you mean. I thought you said the Transformers demo news was in the XBL thread. My mistake. I see it's in the Transformers thread.