Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Real Steel - robot boxing, father-son drama, and Hugh Jackman

1. Real Steel - robot boxing, father-son drama, and Hugh Jackman

This sounds like it could be pretty cool:
    First Look: Hugh Jackman and boxing robots in 'Real Steel'

Holy cow, I'm looking forward to a Shawn Levy film.

Here's where I prove what I say about giving every movie a fresh chance. I've had fairly strongly negative reactions to a number of the films that Levy has directed so far. The "Night At The Museum" films, the "Pink Panther" remake, "Cheaper By The Dozen," or "Just Married".... they just don't work for me. I've heard he's great to work with, and studios obviously love him, but I haven't clicked with anything he's made, and I didn't make it to "Date Night" in the theater.

This week, he's rolling film in "Real Steel," his new movie, starring Hugh Jackman and Dakota Goyo as a father and son who discover a robot in a junkyard who they restore in hopes of making him a champion in a robot boxing league in the future. And USA Today scored the exclusive this morning with an image and a story that has immediately turned this into a movie that I want to see.

This is an important film for Dreamworks and Disney and their newly-forged collaboration. They'll be looking to start branding the sort of films people can expect from the partnership, and this sounds like it's aimed at family audiences in the broadest sense of the term.

Here's the official synopsis:

A gritty, white-knuckle, action ride set in the near-future, where the sport of boxing has gone hi-tech, “Real Steel” stars Hugh Jackman as Charlie Kenton, a washed-up fighter who lost his chance at a title when 2000-pound, 8-foot-tall steel robots took over the ring. Now nothing but a small-time promoter, Charlie earns just enough money piecing together low-end bots from scrap metal to get from one underground boxing venue to the next. When Charlie hits rock bottom, he reluctantly teams up with his estranged son Max (Dakota Goyo) to build and train a championship contender. As the stakes in the brutal, no-holds-barred arena are raised, Charlie and Max, against all odds, get one last shot at a comeback.

When I read the first description of this, I assumed this meant a lot of CGI and greenscreen, but it sounds like we can expect something that is more dependent on physical effects than that. In this first photo today, what you're looking at is something that was actually shot on-set with Hugh Jackman, and I just love the mood of this image and the design of the robot:

I like Hugh Jackman a lot, and I'm still waiting to see him really anchor a monster hit movie that isn't related to the X-Men. This one's got potential, based on all of this new stuff we're seeing from it. I know my own sons will pretty much loser their minds when they realize it's a movie about robots beating each other up, and a story like this could be really emotionally rich for the father-son stuff. It's based on a Richard Matheson short story, and it's being produced by a small army that includes Don Murphy, Susan Montford, Levy, Robert Zemeckis, Rick Benettar, Jack Rapke, and Steve Starkey. I'm really curious to see Evangeline Lilly in this, since we haven't seen her do much besides "Lost." I have faith that she can survive a monster hit TV show, and this will be a nice test of that.

Here's another image, this one of Shawn Levy discussing a scene with Hugh Jackman:

I'm sure it'll be a while before we see any footage for this one if they're just starting production, but then again, if they're doing a lot of this practical, maybe they could have a Comic-Con presentation together. I'm curious to see the performance capture fights, especially since learning that Sugar Ray Leonard is a consultant on the fights. But I'm just as excited to see a movie with tons of real-size physical robot builds, and I hope it pays off in something as cool as the premise promises.

"Real Steel" will be in theaters November 18, 2011.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Real_Steel_Sneak_Peek_1.jpg 
Views:	634 
Size:	244.9 KB 
ID:	56319   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Real_Steel_Sneak_Peek_2.jpg 
Views:	662 
Size:	226.3 KB 
ID:	56320  

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

2. Just saw this. I'm stunned to say that this actually ended up being a good movie. Just shitloads of fun, and the first movie I've seen in years where the crowd actually clapped multiple times. That shit never happens anymore.

I watched it too. I really liked it. It is a somewhat (as modern hollywood goes) realistic story of two family members that have been separated, getting to know each other. Hugh Jackman is not a likeable character in the first half of the movie. He's a pretty big sack of shit. I'm surprised he doesn't end up hitting his kid.

The movie is about him getting over his own insecurities and getting his life back. And he does this with big robots that beat the shit out of each other.

And as mentioned in the just watched thread, they do it all in a manner that isn't all in your face. None of that WOW THIS IS THE FUTURE WE SPENT ALL OUR MONEY ON CG PLEASE LOOK AT IT FUCK BUY TOYS. All the future shit is just part of the background like how movies were in the 80s. The ending is a tad tacked on, but the story is good. You don't feel like it is an excuse for the robot fights.

It sucks, but this movie will probably flop. I don't know if movie goers know what to do with an honest family movie with big budget effects.

Honestly, I didn't give a damn despite the robots since the trailers make the movie look like a piece of shit. Since you guys say it's good I might go see it next weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

6. This movie looks awesome. I'm going to try and catch it next weekend.

7. The trailer was hilarious. I seriously was laughing the entire time.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    The trailer was hilarious. I seriously was laughing the entire time.
    Not to mention, they basically told the story in 2.5 minutes. Even then, I was bored.

I was surprised it wasn't named rock'm sock'm robots

10. I was interested until I saw that it also starred a small kid. I bet he is really wise too (one of my least favorite cliches). I hate children.