Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Lego Is Awesome

1. ITT: an idiot who doesn't understand the collectible market.

I deal with these people every day. "$20 for an N64 game? That's more than some PS3 games! WHAT A RIPOFF YO!"

2. Would you pay $400 for a 20 yr old set of Legos? Maybe if it was the Monorail, which had electric parts and was unopened, but I got that set when I was 12 and still have all the pieces. And N64 games aren't 20 years old. And you couldn't get away with selling one sealed for more than $60. It's old Legos. The new big sets are $100. And they are more fun.

3. I wouldn't pay $40,000 for a 20 yr old Intendo tape, but people do.
    New legos are balls. It's all prefab walls and shit.

And I sold a sealed N64 Paper Mario for $120 once. I bought it from Toys R Us for $10 on clearance.

4. Wow, I pity the guy who paid for that Paper Mario, that shit is sad. And some of the new Lego sets are just sick. I don't like all the avenues they went down but some are really cool and a lot of fun to build and subsequently mess around with. I still make sounds when I play with Legos. Shit is swooshing and vrrring and pew pewing all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    New legos are balls. It's all prefab walls and shit.
    I thought the same until I got one of the modular sets.

Going off the deep end and getting all of the different sets is one thing but if you can spare $150 you really should get one of the new kits. If anything you could probably resell it used and get $100 back.

Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    Would you pay $400 for a 20 yr old set of Legos? Maybe if it was the Monorail, which had electric parts and was unopened, but I got that set when I was 12 and still have all the pieces. And N64 games aren't 20 years old. And you couldn't get away with selling one sealed for more than $60. It's old Legos. The new big sets are $100. And they are more fun.
    I'm sorry that this whole shebang bothers you. Thats just how collecting is these days. For every 100 normal collectors who want to spend only about 100, there are crazy insane ones that are now lawyers that will pay top dollar to get that toy, mint, that Daddy never gave them. And now that we have ebay, it only takes a handful of them to keep prices high. And don't get me started on horders that want every toy in a series, mint like it just came out of a shipping crate.

I don't like any more than you, because shit, there are things I'd like to buy from my childhood, but fuck if that isn't the way it is.
    Last edited by Fe 26; 17 Jun 2010 at 05:16 PM.

7. Legos like a mother fucker.

After some time I moved on to KNEX, which ruled too. Build bad ass working Ferris Wheels, I even got the massive roller coaster kit that I built with some friends in a week. Worked about 30% of the time. Had to modify the car to make it do that. I also dabbled in that PVC like construction set where you could make full size wheelbarrows (barrel?) and push carts and shit.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    I'm sorry that this whole shebang bothers you. Thats just how collecting is these days. For every 100 normal collectors who want to spend only about 100, there are crazy insane ones that are now lawyers that will pay top dollar to get that toy, mint, that Daddy never gave them. And now that we have ebay, it only takes a handful of them to keep prices high. And don't get me started on horders that want every toy in a series, mint like it just came out of a shipping crate.

I don't like any more than you, because shit, there are things I'd like to buy from my childhood, but fuck if that isn't the way it is.
    So put it on ebay then. In a month when no one has paid $400 for it, talk to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpy View Post
    Legos like a mother fucker.

After some time I moved on to KNEX, which ruled too. Build bad ass working Ferris Wheels, I even got the massive roller coaster kit that I built with some friends in a week. Worked about 30% of the time. Had to modify the car to make it do that. I also dabbled in that PVC like construction set where you could make full size wheelbarrows (barrel?) and push carts and shit.
    I had some strange hate for KNEX for no reason other than I was a diehard Lego guy. Hell, I subscribed to the magazine, frequently tried to build the alternate versions of things you would see on the back of the box, and literally invited friends over to "play Legos". Ahh, to be 26 again...

9. It always seemed like by the time you are old enough to get into Kinex, you're old enough to actually build treehouses and the like.

Yeah but building a treehouse requires going outside and such - who the hell wants to do that?