Page 7 of 811 FirstFirst ... 3567891121 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Nintendo 3DS, 3DS XL, 2DS, "New" 3DS, & "New" 2DS XL Thread.

1. Quote Originally Posted by Low View Post
    If you submit a piece of shit like Elf Bowling 3D it can be made available for the 3DSware catalog but not a real cart. Easy.
    And people wonder where I get the downloadable-ghetto concept from. Elf Bowling, a not-game, should go DLC where it belongs. So when a game like Rayman also ends up in DLC land it's like saying, yeah, here's all this high production shit...but it's just a 2D platformer. We all know those are not-games too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

2. Once Atlus came along, WD had no place in the industry. But there was a time when they were bringing out stuff that really wouldn't have made it here.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    And people wonder where I get the downloadable-ghetto concept from. Elf Bowling, a not-game, should go DLC where it belongs. So when a game like Rayman also ends up in DLC land it's like saying, yeah, here's all this high production shit...but it's just a 2D platformer. We all know those are not-games too!
    Except the new Rayman has a team of 5 people. It doesn't have production value, just a couple dudes who can draw. There's a difference between that and King of Fighters XIII or Blazblue.

4. Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi
    "I think there are times when a game is unquestionably garbage"
    Deadly Premonition is unquestionably garbage.

5. Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi View Post
    But it isn't easy, because who decides what games are quality and which aren't? Microsoft easily could have thought Deadly Premonition was terrible, as could Sony have made that judgement about Disaster Report and Raw Danger. And yet, I loved all three of those games. I think there are times when a game is unquestionably garbage, but I'm also willing to bet that those times aren't nearly as common as you might think. You and I might think Elf Bowling is worthless shovelware, but I'd swear I've heard at least one or two people who liked the game.

There's no doubt that a gray area exists but DS development is insanely free reign. A few rules could go a long way:

1. If your title is based on hit a flash or cell phone game. Rejected.

2. If you are trying to publish 50 SKUs in your stale casual series in one day....

My Huggable Pet: Aardvark
    My Huggable Pet: Armadillo
    My Huggable Pet: Alpaca
    My Huggable Pet: Alpine Tapper-nosed Lemur

....you need to condense that to one cart or hell, simply be stopped. On the same matter, the belief that any game should be released as two carts needs to die. Your IP isn't the new Pokemon, deal with it. (ie Transformers: Autobots and Decepticons ).

3. If your janitor drew the cover art. Rejected.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Except the new Rayman has a team of 5 people. It doesn't have production value, just a couple dudes who can draw. There's a difference between that and King of Fighters XIII or Blazblue.
    It may not have high production costs, but those videos make it look like it has high production value. It's scary polished and clean, absolutely beautiful, and doesn't look like something slapped together willy-nilly by 5 guys. Yet it still belongs in the marketplace with games that are? Why not make it a shelved game?

Or inversely, Scott Pilgrim is low fidelity, waaaaaaaaaaaay high on animation/unique sprites & tiles/crazy shit happening on screen. Again - with such polish, it should go on the same venue as (per Low) 3D Elf Bowling "belongs" on?

I don't think it ultimately affects these high polish games either way, but the reasoning by fans of what deserves to be on disc and not...that's what creates the ghetto.

7. It's a game intentionally created to demonstrate an accessible, low-cost platform in the hopes that others will adopt it and pay them. The whole point is that Ubi-Art Framework will make it possible for small, independent teams to make quality 2D downloadable games.

Kane and Lynch sucks ass, but it cost a lot to make and it goes on the shelves with other full-size productions. Rayman Origins is small and cheap, and it goes on a platform for small cheap games. It has nothing to do with quality. The downloadable market doesn't exist as a dumping ground for bad games, it's meant to support games of smaller scale/scope than retail SKUs, which were being forced out of the market previously.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    Yet it still belongs in the marketplace with games that are? Why not make it a shelved game?
    Because it won't sell to any good extent on shelves but will have a ridiculously easier time through direct download sales, which will hurt it even more in the long run due to extra production costs brought in from printing materials and shipping. Same goes for SPVTW.

The main reason a lot of these games are even being made as they are is because the companies only have to pay, such as with Rayman, five people to make a product which has almost no related costs besides advertising once it's finished. Maybe it seems poor form for it to be placed alongside the pile of crap that gets thrown up on the online marketplace (or DS store shelves), but that's also the only reason it even exists in the first place.

[edit] Fuck you for beating me, Frog.

9. I dunno - I think that 2D platfomers could sell well, at least NSMBWii shows the interest is there (and don't say it sold only because its Mario - how did it outpace Galaxy 1 so easily if that were the case?). I think there's an audience and know that it's safer/cheaper to do the download route instead and that plenty of good DL games outpace a bunch of shelved stinkers. But when someone thinks NewSMB doesn't deserve to be a disc release, and that other equally good/promising games should be download-only or GTFO, then I think that speaks on the consumer perception of what downloadable games are, even before giving a game the time of day.

Quote Originally Posted by Hero
    how did it outpace Galaxy 1 so easily if that were the case?
    More advertising, I would guess. You would figure nearly every Wii owner would have bought Galaxy already but I guess not.

I do think there's still a market for 2d retail games but downloadables/lower budget games are so much less risky for the publisher. Sonic 4 would probably sell well on disc on name alone, though (I don't know why Sonic games sell on name alone nowadays but they seem to).
    Last edited by NeoZeedeater; 18 Jun 2010 at 08:01 PM.