Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12346 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell us about your local favorites

1. OK Pa, I'm going to make a point to try to find better music in Dallas. Though, I'm nearly positive I will be severely disappointed.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

2. I thought you were in Austin? Am I dumb?

And just because a band/artist is on a major label doesn't mean they're DQ'd from this thread. It's about exposure. Plenty of bands 'go major' and then never get heard by anybody more than they were heard by before. If you think a band deserves to be talked about here because they're not getting talked about much of anywhere else, by all means bring 'em on!
    Last edited by PaCrappa; 20 Jun 2010 at 03:47 PM.

3. I live in Dallas, but am in Austin like once a month or more doing shit with other filmmakers, actors, friends, etc.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

4. Well I just learn something new every day. I wonder what's going on musically in Dallas.

5. Quote Originally Posted by PaCrappa View Post
    I'm not talking about famous ones or even semifamous ones. I mean like local bands that play at local bars because that's the best shows they can get. I'm sure Iowa has bands like that. Just sayin. I know you've been in Miyazaki and all. Any local music down there? My friend from there says he was in several bands when he was younger.
    Iowa local bands are pretty much all shit unfortunately.

Here in Miyazaki there's an ok music scene. Good number of bands, one or two of them are pretty good. Unfortunately none of them have shit for web stuff up aside from cellphone websites because Japan is horrifically behind the times internet wise.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

6. All of the local bands here in New Brunswick flee the local scene and head to New York the second they have two cents to rub together. The New Brunswick scene is very active and has actually produced a lot of good bands (Bouncing Souls, Hub City Stompers, Screaming Females, etc) but the gigs here don't pay and I don't know if I could rightly still call them local once they move on.

One of my roommates has a pretty good band (The Forthrights), but even they're too good to play in town now, and they're already branding themselves a Brooklyn band.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 20 Jun 2010 at 11:27 PM.

7. Laugh My new favorite local band NORTHERN PARADOX

Hello, I wanted to bring to your attention my favorite local band! Check out Northern Paradox of Austin TX. They are very dark, with haunting melodies, and a kick ass live show!

http://www.myspace.com/northernparad0x

If you know of any other bands that sound similar to this I would like to know!!

THANKS

Dirty FEM bot

8. 1999 called. They want their Lilith Fair bullshit back.

9. Neon Nights are so ridiculously good. I quit music.

www.myspace.com/theoreticaldivision

10. my favorites are the ones who put on the best shows-

Burning of Rome every song is a huge theatrical production, amazing to hear, better to watch

Silent Comedy awesome shows, fun guys

Kera and the Lesbians passionate folk girl rock

and not so local to me, but friends of mine in LA - Old Man Markley if you ever get a chance to see this band DO IT!! they put on the best, most energegic shows. my friend katie rips on the fiddle and their washboard player is amazing.
    Wear more flannel.