Thread: Sega Saturn display static

1. Sega Saturn display static

Just recently purchased a chip and switch modded white Saturn.

The display becomes static-y anytime the laser is reading the disc.

I tested the system on different televisions and in different households, so that eliminates the possibility of local interference.

When the laser is not reading the disc the display is crystal clear.

Does anyone have experience with such a problem?

I have no clue really. A white Japanese Saturn is a model 2 correct? I would assume that the system is causing interference in the video line somehow, but the mod for a Model 2 only has one or two wires. Those wires shouldn't be anywhere near any of the AV lines, they should run in front of the Saturn's motherboard.

The only thing I can suggest is to open her up, and see if anything looks off.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

3. Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    I have no clue really. A white Japanese Saturn is a model 2 correct? I would assume that the system is causing interference in the video line somehow, but the mod for a Model 2 only has one or two wires. Those wires shouldn't be anywhere near any of the AV lines, they should run in front of the Saturn's motherboard.

The only thing I can suggest is to open her up, and see if anything looks off.

Thanks for the reply.
    I was hoping the person I purchased it from would shed some light on this. He suggested I clean the AV cables. ...so clearly he didn't pay attention to where I detailed how the picture is crystal clear except when the laser is reading the disc.

The other troubleshooting scenario I have not tested is to get a 120v to 100v step-down converter.
    I've never used one on any other JPN consoles, but can imagine the extra voltage could be the cause of this display static.

Then I guess I'll open it up and look around at the mod-job, etc.

4. Doing a quick search for step-down converters, I see that some are quite pricey.
    The cheapest one I've found is $30 and only has one outlet.

Any suggestions?

5. You might try replacing the power supply. When I had an AES the power brick was faulty and I got some patterned static until I replaced it.

That's a possibility, but the Saturn's power supply is internal unfortunately. If you've got another Saturn, I think the power supplies are interchangeable between the various models (except for PAL 220v systems.) If that ends up being the issue, I know a guy who sells the power supplies.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.