Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Revolutionary Girl Utena

1. Revolutionary Girl Utena

...is getting rereleased!
    Right Stuf
    Anime producer and distributor Right Stuf, Inc. and its Nozomi Entertainment division made several announcements during its July 2nd panel at Anime Expo 2010 in Los Angeles, California.

Right Stuf President and C.E.O. Shawne Kleckner revealed its licenses for the REVOLUTIONARY GIRL UTENA (TV series and movie) and SORA NO WOTO television series, plus an English-language audio remaster for GRAVITATION and details about the future releases for several previously announced projects, including JUNJO ROMANTICA 2, DIRTY PAIR, EL-HAZARD: THE WANDERERS and ANTIQUE BAKERY.

REVOLUTIONARY GIRL UTENA TV Series
    Right Stuf and Nozomi Entertainment announced the license for the REVOLUTIONARY GIRL UTENA television series, as well as plans to release its 39 episodes as three DVD box sets – featuring the remastered video from the Japanese DVD release with English audio, Japanese audio and English-language subtitles – during 2011.

Utena is a spirited teenage girl with an unusual dream – to become a prince who helps those in need. However, this sense of chivalry soon places her at odds with her classmates at the Ohtori Academy and thrusts her into a series of mysterious and dangerous duels against members of its student council.
    I can't imagine them going to the expense, but I wish they'd re-dub it as well. Half the characters are downright painful to listen to in the CPM dub.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

2. I like the fact that it's going to be the remastered version, but to be honest... at this point in time, if it isn't Blu-ray, it's hard for me to care. Especially so with Adolescence of Utena, as that's one of my top "I want it in hi-def" anime titles.

Also cool to see them license the Dirty Pair TV series, as it's never made it over here before.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

3. Yeah, but aren't most anime blu-rays just the SD transfer upscaled (like any decent player will already do with the DVD) anyway?

4. I've heard that some North American releases are. The problem is, Japanese animation companies (and some might say Japanese media companies period) are still living in the stone age when it comes to business mentality, and they don't want cheaper releases to hit on our shores when Japanese consumers might buy those versions instead of the horribly overpriced Japanese versions. So, you get cases where a company like FUNimation might just slap some upscaled content onto a Blu-ray and call it a day, since Japanese otaku would be less likely to import that version.

Adolescence of Utena, being a movie, has to be in a resolution good enough for putting onto Blu-ray. TV series, I'm not sure, but I can't believe that they would do a total restoration of the show and not create a higher-resolution master in the process.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

5. The first set comes out in June, and if you preorder direct from Right Stuf, and then do the same for the remaining sets when they go up, you'll get some kind of exclusive mystery gift with the final set. (I'm guessing it'll be either a cheap plastic duelist ring or a Chu Chu plushie.)

Oh, and they confirmed they're using the CPM dub.

And no plans for blu-ray at this time.
    Last edited by Space Pirate Roberts; 20 Apr 2011 at 02:18 AM.

6. Until thursday, the first set is on sale for $30, and while some people are reporting theirs as shipping already, the official release date isn't til June 7th, so you should get on the list for the mystery gift if you order now.

7. Several things to report:

1) The mystery gift is confirmed to be a duelist ring, one-size-fits-most, made of cheap metal. Hey, it's better than plastic I guess. How getting it works is, once orders for volume 3 go up, they'll be given first-come first-serve to anyone who 1) orders volume 3, and 2) has previously ordered volumes one and two, regardless of whether they were pre-release orders or not. Quantity available hasn't been specified.

2) This release has been plagued with problems, uncharacteristic of a Right Stuf production. They've been pretty minor - issues with the art box on volume one (for which they sent out free replacements), and the booklet and on-disc menus for volume 2 still bearing the "Student Council Saga" subtitle instead of "Black Rose Saga", which I can't see them correcting as it would require replacing all three discs over something that ultimately isn't very significant - but still, annoying for what was supposed to be the definitive version of one of anime's great classics.

3) And finally... I made this.

Let it never be said that I am less than secure in my manhood.
    Last edited by Space Pirate Roberts; 08 Aug 2011 at 09:14 AM.

8. So I just got done watching box set 1. I picked up the first two (and completely forgot about the third) just because I'd been hearing about Utena for years, and curiosity finally got the better of me.

Why does this show suck so bad? The council wants revolution, but they're pampered little rich kids with nothing to revolt against. Utena is half-assedly trying to rescue Anthy from being the bride, but at no point does Anthy seem to care one way or another. Not only that, but there's a mystery involving a giant upside-down castle and Utena has zero interest in it. If the main character doesn't care, why should I?

There's obviously more going on here than has been shown yet, but 12 episodes is more than enough time to establish the characters and their world, at least. So far the characters are all drama-queens and the world is pampered luxury school. I hear the Black Rose chapter is much better, but honestly, it would have to try really damn hard not to be.

James

9. Years ago I was drawn in by the pink haired heroine with a sword, and started reading the manga. I didn't think think it was very good, and I thought the anime was worse.

10. Just came in here to let you know that the name of this anime makes me uncomfortable