Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Batman to read?

1. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    really? Not that Comics Should Be Good is the be all and end all of comic reviews, but the article they had on Batman 701 was pretty harsh.
    It explained some shit. If a comic explains shit and I follow it, good book.

2. But they were crying that it explained some shit that was already explained in issues 682 and 683?

3. that was like 300 years ago, I don't fucking know.

4. There's a local collectibles store with a big backlog of Batman's for $1 a piece. Maybe I'll have to search through and locate some of the aforementioned.

This is off topic (and in a topic I created too, for shame!) but has anyone read any of the old Savage Sword of Conan compilations. I'm a big Conan fan (wrote my English thesis on him) and might invest in some if they're any good.
    For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.-Conan the Barbarian

Check out my blog: New England Gamer

5. The writing tends to lean towards to the verbose, but you can't go wrong with Barry Windsor Smith art.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    really? Not that Comics Should Be Good is the be all and end all of comic reviews, but the article they had on Batman 701 was pretty harsh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chux View Post
    It explained some shit. If a comic explains shit and I follow it, good book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    But they were crying that it explained some shit that was already explained in issues 682 and 683?
    SSJN:

To be completely sure, I've just finished reading all three things in question: Batman 701, Last Rites (682-683) and the CSBG review.

The review writer is wrong, and completely clueless I might add, among other more colorful terms that come to mind.

For one, 682 isn't worth mentioning in the slightest. Except for two pages in the secret laboratory, in takes place entirely in the mind of Bruce Wayne under the control of the Lump (a weapon of Darkseid's scientists so that they can steal Batman's memories and emotions to complete their Batman clone army). That the reviewer would even bring this up is dubious at the very best, let me say.

683 has a one-page scene that is recreated word-for-word, although obviously not art-wise, in 701 over two pages. If you want to be generous about it, you can say in total six pages in 701, as a little more is revealed both before and afterwards. Specifically, and it's not much of a spoiler, the exact moment before Bruce heads to investigate the death of Orion (god of war and Darkseid's son/adversary) in Final Crisis. Batman's last case.

Batman 701 expounds well past what was touched on before in Last Rites (682-683). If anything it has as much if not more to do with what's going in Batman and Robin (and probably The Return of Bruce Wayne) as it does R.I.P.

The supernatural/Wayne connection of Dr. Hurt, Bruce's reluctance to don his cursed cape and cowl, not only his knowledge of the Hidden Room (and Barbatos?) in Wayne Manor but also his parents' knowledge/involvement in it, and the fate of an under-age prostitute Bruce met/saved in the first Three Ghosts of Batman arc.

And something that I've personally become aware of, that Bruce is somehow transcribing "Batman's last case" in the Black Casebook after the fact. This might factor into the Return of Bruce Wayne, we'll see. We have yet to see what Batman 702 entails.

Chux:

I liked it just as much for the character moments. Also, who knew the proper term was butling?
    Last edited by Geo; 16 Jul 2010 at 07:16 PM.

7. Guess I'll stick to just reading the Comics Legends Revealed every Friday. Though to be honest, it's apparent that it ran out of steam months ago and the legends have become far less legendary as of late.

8. Maybe this is just one bad (imo) review from whoever it was that wrote it. I've visited that blog and others at CBR on occassion, but rarely for the reviews so I couldn't say myself.

Batman 700 and 701 haven't been as essential/epic as what Morrison is doing in Batman and Robin (13 was off the fucking charts) as well as Return of Bruce Wayne, I would readily admit to that, so maybe the reviewer is somehow pissed off about it.

Personally, I've enjoyed those two issues for the many little character moments they have, I've found them enjoyable.

9. Thanks for letting me read this great post, keep it up.

stfu noob