Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Back to the Future and its Fucked Up, Impossible Timeline

1. Quote Originally Posted by Mr-K View Post
    But aren't they all going back to the same 1955 because that's the source point of all of the SKEEEEWWWWWEEED tangents, as Doc explains on the chalk board in 2?

Also, according to FUTUREPEDIA, the BTTF Wiki:

Stabbed himself with his cane. Geez.
    Between this, the disappearing act in BTTF with the siblings in the photo and Marty himself, and Jennifer being on the same bench/patio/whatever during the transition from 1985(3) to 1985(4), I need to I revise my earlier answer. I didn't follow the guidelines BTTF set for itself. So here goes:

Per BTTF, there's just one existing timeline and basically things flex themselves as best as possible to any changes made via time travel. Marty's parents don't dance at first in their high school recital, Marty begins to disappear because things are changing from what they were, flexing around the new events. The "You're Fired" page Jennifer steals from the future flexes to a blank page before her (and our) eyes, after Marty uses the wisdom of time travel/the future to avoid the street racing crash. Etcetera.

So Marty(2) is an interesting case, as you knew creating this thread, because he himself didn't experience any change in his history. He's, in simplest terms, the finished product. He's the Marty created from the changes Marty(P) made in his first trip to 1955.

Yeah, that pretty much leaves Marty(2) up in the air. And maybe that's precisely what happens, I think.

My guess is both Marty(2) and the Delorean(2) disappear completely from existence - like Old Man Biff from his revised timeline in the clip you posted - as soon as the Delorean travels away from 1985(2).

1985(2) flexes itself around Marty(P) as its Marty.
    Last edited by Geo; 20 Jul 2010 at 07:26 PM.

2. An alternate 1955 (and subsequent 1985 that we don't see) are created when Doc goes back to 1885 too. We see that shift around Marty when he's out on the highway and the Western Union man shows up. So I can see how Jennifer would be fine in 1985(3 or whatever).

So yeah, Marty (2) had to of disappeared from existence because if he didn't, he would have gone back to 1955 and met with the two Marty (P)s (the one from the first and the one from the second movies). UNLESS. This is the only out I could think of.. in order to prevent a paradox Doc(2), who knows exactly when Marty came back, sends Marty (2) to a different time altogether, maybe even into the future.

Can we pick apart Teddy Ruxpin, He-Man and Ninja Turtles next??? PLEASE!!!
    I took all your French Toast.

4. Hey now...Wouldn't the Old Biff, traveling back in time to give Young Biff the almanac, return the Delorean to an alternate future as well, thus giving the original Marty and Doc - in their current future timeline - no way to return to the past to fix things?

Also this --> http://www.cracked.com/video_18203_w...orrifying.html
    Last edited by Super-Eggroll; 21 Jul 2010 at 07:08 PM.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    Can we pick apart Teddy Ruxpin, He-Man and Ninja Turtles next??? PLEASE!!!
    He-Man is just a collection of sexual fetishes, in which a man dressed in bondage and teamed up with a machinist and dominatrix does battle against furries, necrophilia, beast-men, and vore enthusiasts.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Super-Eggroll View Post
    Hey now...Wouldn't the Old Biff, traveling back in time to give Young Biff the almanac, return the Delorean to an alternate future as well, thus giving the original Marty and Doc - in their current future timeline - no way to return to the past to fix things?

Also this --> http://www.cracked.com/video_18203_w...orrifying.html
    Funny vid, I'll have to check out other vids they've made.

And good point about Old Biff creating an alternate timeline.

BTTF though, as touched on in my second post, seems adheres to its one existing universe that flexes around the changes made via time travel.

So apparently, for as much as Young Biff with the Sports Almanac changed 1985, the effects further down the line in 2015 were inconsequential or just unrevealed to us the viewer. Either way, the Delorean returned for Marty and Doc Brown in 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    He-Man is just a collection of sexual fetishes, in which a man dressed in bondage and teamed up with a machinist and dominatrix does battle against furries, necrophilia, beast-men, and vore enthusiasts.
    Thanks for ruining He-Man and the Masters of the Universe for me forever, MechDeus.

PS. So Orko is probably a pedo leper or something. Fuck it makes sense!

7. Quote Originally Posted by Super-Eggroll View Post
    Hey now...Wouldn't the Old Biff, traveling back in time to give Young Biff the almanac, return the Delorean to an alternate future as well, thus giving the original Marty and Doc - in their current future timeline - no way to return to the past to fix things?[/URL]
    THIS.

Shit bugged the hell out of me even as a little kid. Biff does EXACTLY what Doc explains is impossible. The only way around it -- maybe -- is if Biff first travels backwards a bit in time to a "clean slate," then forward again to return from whence he came. But if it were that easy to dodge the alternate timeline, why would Biff know how to do it and Doc wouldn't? Indeed. Whatevs, like someone else said, the movies are more than great enough to forgive them these flaws.

8. But wouldn't BTTF3 re-write that part and thus ALLOW Old Biff to do exactly what Doc(p) said couldn't be possible?

My theory is ...

Marty(p) went back to 1955(p), meets young Doc(p). Changed the future and created 1985(2). Then you see Doc(2); in 1985(2) approach Marty(p) and tells him of the future. </end BTTF1>

He goes to 2015(2) and Old Biff(2) steals the Almanac. HE goes back in time and creates 1985(3). How this happen? Because ... Marty(p) goes back to 1855 and that changes the future of all timelines. So, what I mean is that each movie is happening in real time. The time he spent in each timeline is a second, compared to what happens in 1985(p)

Remember each time he goes back to 1985 time has not elapsed enough for us to see the FULL effects of changes. So, 1985 is Prime, kinda like DC Multiverse. Prime is where all changes to timeline can be seen. Each time Marty(p) leaves 1985 he changes a bit of 1985 Prime. Yet, each time he heads back to that timeline, time has NOT elapsed. Then he leaves again for another timeline.

ps: my head hurts its too early for this shit.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

9. Between watching the BTTF trilogy recently and just about to finish Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, I've come to the conclusion that there is no arguing any of this. You could look at time travel a billion different ways. After watching the Sarah Connor Chronicles, I tend to subscribe that every time travel occurs, there is a new timeline. No ripple effect, no multiple timelines on one occasion but ripples there, etc. It's been said before, that BTTF does what it wants to make a good story. It doesn't have to make sense as long as it is entertaining. Also, it is just too much of a headache to try and putt it all together logically Chances are you are never going to put it together perfectly.

Hey now...Wouldn't the Old Biff, traveling back in time to give Young Biff the almanac, return the Delorean to an alternate future as well, thus giving the original Marty and Doc - in their current future timeline - no way to return to the past to fix things?
    The Cell Saga of DBZ says that when someone goes to the past and then goes back to the future, they go back to their future, not the future they have helped create. Just one of those billion ways you could look at time travel.
    Last edited by ElCapichan; 05 Aug 2010 at 12:39 AM.

10. You are missing the point.