Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 12345717 ... LastLast

Thread: NHL11 (Sports GOTY)

1. Well, I was happy...

This demo is shit. Speed is down, which will be fixed with sliders offline but online versus will be slow and shitty. The "awesome" new animations and physics bullshit for hitting is well, bullshit. The hockey card thing is blah and the new faceoff system is unnecessary.

On the plus side, I finally didn't wiff on one-timers like before. Also, the game is a lil cleaned up, graphically.

I may wait a lil before picking this up. This game is waaaaay too much like last years except for a couple things that make the game worse in my eyes. Also, boosts must fucking die.

Edit: You can set the playstyle to normal which bumps up the speed, thank God!
    Last edited by Changeling; 17 Aug 2010 at 02:18 PM.

2. Yeah the default game speed is a bit slow, but that can always be sped up in the options.

The amount of game customization you can do in NHL is pretty huge.

3. Quote Originally Posted by jyoung View Post

I played a quick game of Blackhawks vs. Flyers and there were a ton of goals.

If the demo is any indication, "robo-goalies" may finally be out of the game.
    That's what EA does with their sports games every year to have bullet points. They'll break something one year so they can fix it the next and it'll be a new feature

4. Quote Originally Posted by Dyne View Post
    That's what EA does with their sports games every year to have bullet points. They'll break something one year so they can fix it the next and it'll be a new feature
    While I agree with you on madden, etc, NHL has been consistently improving since 2008. Having said that, this year might be a step backwards. Gotta get demo...

5. Goalies are still robo-hard in superstar mode, if you want that. Still, the game this year is treading water and changing things just for the sake of saying something is different, as dyne said.

Bring the new round of consoles already. This gen is done for sports games. Get a second job if you can't afford it, America.

6. From what I can tell, it seems good. I can never really tell with these demos cause it locks too much of the settings and makes you play a certain way. I really prefer to play as either LD or RD, and I've just become so used to that way that I can't play otherwise. Still a day 1 for me. I like the new look of the HUD, graphics aren't a huge increase, but look good, and the game seems to play fine to me. I'm going to check it out more later.

7. It feels similar to 10 but that's not a bad thing. Seems like they are focused in milking money from the consumer with the Ultimate team bullshit a la Madden. But the core game is still amazing so this is one of the few games I will day 1.

8. Yeah that Ultimate Team crap has been shoved into just about every EA sports game.

Thankfully, it is easy to ignore.

I am still waiting to see what the core online modes are going to be like this year; the developers said they still had a couple of major announcements left.

Quote Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
    Bring the new round of consoles already.
    Amen

10. Quote Originally Posted by jyoung View Post

I am still waiting to see what the core online modes are going to be like this year; the developers said they still had a couple of major announcements left.
    I hope they're worthy! I can be swayed to day one status with some good modes because as KOF said, the core game is so damn good. I'm gonna be super depressed when I see the marketplace for this game with "packs of trading cards for only 240 points!"