Page 17 of 207 FirstFirst ... 31315161718192131 ... LastLast

Thread: Street Fighter x Tekken(2D) (aka: DLC: The Game)/Tekken x Street Fighter(3D)

1. Quote Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
    Hilarious! Those are some SERIOUS gameplay upgrades!!! RAGE is Samurai Shodown and BOUND is just juggle shit from (insert game here).
    You asked what the changes from 5 to 6 were. You didn't say "What new innovations has Tekken 6 brought to the fighting genre that have never been seen in fighting games before". Bound is the biggest game changer in Tekken for quite some time, and rage is great for giving scrubs one last fighting chance and adds a bit of strategy for good players (you want to make sure you kill a guy outright so he doesn't go into rage, so you might cut a combo a move short if it's not going to kill them, that way you can kill them with the next combo)

Quote Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
    I'm sure the "new" characters share moves from existing characters
    No, they actually don't. The new characters have all new fighting styles. I guess all of them have 8 frame jabs, but that's as common as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
    and multi-levels do nothing that DOA hasn't done 5 years ago.
    Again, no one is saying that the stuff that's new from Tekken 5 to Tekken 6 HAS NEVER BEEN DONE IN ANY GAME BEFORE but the multi-tiers work differently in T6 than in DOA. A good example is a stage from T6 that has a glass floor in the corner of the room, and concrete in the rest. You can do any normal combo anywhere in the stage, but doing a bound combo on the glass will throw your opponent to the next level, and put them in a new bound state for a few extra hits. DOA was just "kick the guy over that wall and he loses more life and we play somewhere else.

Still shots don't do the upgraded visuals any justice though. T6 is a really pretty game, even on the downgraded home port, and the overall presentation is very slick.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
    Because Virtua Fighter is the original 3DEE fighter.
    Being older doesn't make the characters any less generic.

3. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    Really? Your argument for better characters is two attempts at pure fan service, a Nazi, Wesley Snipes, and a Spanish guy whose backstory is, "On [his sister's] wedding day Miguel stands away from the church not wanting to be seen by his parents when suddenly a group of jets appear in the sky and destroy the church" (that's copied from wikipedia, it's not me trying to make it sound stupid or random)?
    He's Spetsnaz, not Nazi. I think that's pretty cool. Wesley Snipes is also pretty cool, especially as a ninja'd up Blade. And Miguel looks like a Spanish Johnny Nitro (WWE) with a very cool fighting style that isn't just a cut and paste of a million characters from the past. And yeah, he doesn't have a lot of backstory yet, but he's only been in one game.

4. it doesn't matter if vf has more generic characters it has better gameplay and that's what counts at the end of the day

5. Quote Originally Posted by Korly View Post
    He's Spetsnaz, not Nazi.
    I like how you're bothering to try for specifics with Tekken when completely glossing over the SF characters, no points for you. You summed up Alex as a guy that wears a bandanna. That's not even a comment about something ridiculous or silly, you just said it in hopes it would be glossed over in your paragraph of not-quite-ridicules to try and pad the length. We're not your teachers, we don't have a minimum requirement of posting length for your comments to be accepted for a grade.
    Wesley Snipes is also pretty cool, especially as a ninja'd up Blade. And Miguel looks like a Spanish Johnny Nitro (WWE) with a very cool fighting style that isn't just a cut and paste of a million characters from the past. And yeah, he doesn't have a lot of backstory yet, but he's only been in one game.
    It's not that he's missing backstory, it's that his entire backstory is jets randomly blew up a wedding church and they just happened to belong to the Mishimas. That's not even worthy of a movie headlining Steven Seagal. And no, Wesley Snipes as a worse version of Blade does not count as a good character.

6. Quote Originally Posted by dementia_ View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namco_System_357
    256MB, just like the PS3

As for the compromise, other than Scamco's incompetence, I have no idea.
    Probably has to do with making the home version scalable for lower resolution televisions and all the other crap.

7. i always thought the arcade version was upscaled smeared poop as well

8. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    You summed up Alex as a guy that wears a bandanna.
    How would you sum up Alex? He's not Army dude with bandanna. He's not Pro Wrestling dude with bandanna. He's not super-mutant dude with bandanna that throws lightning.

Besides, cool back-stories do not equal interesting characters and shit back-stories do not equal shit characters. It's about visual design, memorable moves, even sound bites ("Let's fight like Gentlemen!" instantly made Dudley cooler than Balrog and "My fight moneeeeey!!!!!" made Balrog cool again.)

Almost all Tekken fighters have some unique "signature move" that makes them memorable. And although it's a subtle thing, the reason that Tekken feels more impactful than something like VF is because when you hit any move in Tekken a unique hit effect comes out for each character, and the subtle quick camera zooms or moves on a big move (like PHOENIX SMASHER) really adds to the bone crunching.

I like almost all fighting games, and I love VF and SF, but Tekken is the MOST FUN 3D fighting series, by far. VF might be better balanced, but I don't consider buffering 3 different throw escapes after each whiff to be fun.

9. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    It's not that he's missing backstory, it's that his entire backstory is jets randomly blew up a wedding church and they just happened to belong to the Mishimas. That's not even worthy of a movie headlining Steven Seagal. And no, Wesley Snipes as a worse version of Blade does not count as a good character.
    The backstory is that he is estranged from his family, but he loves his sister and even though he couldn't actually attend her wedding, he wanted to be nearby. On what should have been her happiest day ever and one of his happiest he is standing close enough to the church to see everyone inside murdered. Not just his sister, but presumably his entire family and anyone who was close to them. It so happens that this act of violence was part of the war between the G Corporation and the Mishima Zaibatsu. Now Miguel wants to get revenge.

Is that really so much worse than any movie, ever?

10. but I don't consider buffering 3 different throw escapes after each whiff to be fun.
    You'll love VF5FS, then!