Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5151718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Sucker Punch

1. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    It ain't Citizen Kane, and even if it was you could make a legitimate criticism.
    http://ourvaluedcustomers.blogspot.c...t-her-new.html
    "I don't like fellas that kill me. Not in general."

Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    You're confusing "legitimate" with "things I agree with."
    No. I am not.

I do not consider complaining about things that you should have seen coming, to be a genuine complaint. Nor do I consider a complaint about the soundtrack that boils down to not liking films with none orchestrated soundtracks.

It would be like going to a French restaurant and being upset that they don't have french fries, and complaining about eating food that you knew you would not like. You should know they wouldn't have french fries, and if you don't normally like a certain food, you probably won't like it here, so why complain about it?

and even if it was you could make a legitimate criticism.
    You can be really dense. I'm not having a semantics argument about the philosophical possibility of criticism being real or not.

All I'm saying is that it is stupid to complain about shit you should have seen coming. And it is stupid to call something shitty just because it contains shit you don't like. Those kinds of critiques lack weight.
    Last edited by Fe 26; 08 Apr 2011 at 09:12 PM.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Nor do I consider a complaint about the soundtrack that boils down to not liking films with none orchestrated soundtracks.
    That's not what they said. They said the song choices were distracting and came off as trying too hard. I'm sure whoever said that (too lazy to go look) loves the soundtracks in Martin Scorcese and Quentin Tarantino movies, but felt there was something off here.

Also "I don't like [whatever] and this has [whatever]" IS, in fact, a valid complaint.

It would be like going to a French restaurant and being upset that they don't have french fries, and complaining about eating food that you knew you would not like.
    Or like going to see a terrible movie and noting it's terrible. These are all perfectly fair things to say. If I said to someone "Let's got a french restaurant" and they said "Nah, I don't like French food." I wouldn't say "Your opinion is invalid, you actually do like French food."

All I'm saying is that it is stupid to complain about shit you should have seen coming.
    Maybe they should have smelled the shit sandwich before taking a bite, sure, but that changes nothing.

I didn't see this movie because it looked bad. But if I did end up seeing it for one reason or another, that doesn't make me then obligated to like it.

That's not what they said. They said the song choices were distracting and came off as trying too hard. I'm sure whoever said that (too lazy to go look) loves the soundtracks in Martin Scorcese and Quentin Tarantino movies, but felt there was something off here.
    I think it maybe due to there being mostly bad covers of good songs. The songs themselves didn't bother me, but the fact they were poor covers that were trying to envoke something tangential to what was going on screen. Thats what bothered me about the soundtrack...except that Bjork track. That fit the movie great.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Nor do I consider a complaint about the soundtrack that boils down to not liking films with none orchestrated soundtracks.
    Except it never "boiled down" to that and yeller supplied a very reasonable response as to exactly how he felt the songs were poorly chosen and/or "shoehorned" in and if you asked him I would assume he could name many examples where popular licensed music has been used wonderfully in films (Wes Anderson and Tarantino are the big ones that immediately come to mind)

6. I want to punch him in the face for using a cover of Tomorrow Never Knows. This movie felt like Snyder wanted to make fanart from anime cliches and didn't have a story to connect them.

7. Quote Originally Posted by FirstBlood View Post
    Except it never "boiled down" to that and yeller supplied a very reasonable response as to exactly how he felt the songs were poorly chosen and/or "shoehorned" in and if you asked him I would assume he could name many examples where popular licensed music has been used wonderfully in films (Wes Anderson and Tarantino are the big ones that immediately come to mind)
    I am listening to the Fantastic Mr Fox OST right this second actually! It is very nice. Lots of banjo. Rolling Stones' Street Fighting Man just came on.

Sucker Punch didn't have a clue about how to use its music. Songs I like in other contexts, even! Unforgivable.

When you can use music to enhance the feel of a particular scene and bring the audience further into the 'world' of a movie, you are doing it right. When you start blasting "Army of Me" just because you like the song and for no other reason (cuts don't match the beat, plus a false start just so it could pull the audience out of the movie TWICE), you have dropped the ball and then tripped on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

Quentin Tarantino movies,
    he doesn't count. He always chooses hot awesome stuff that most people don't know dick about.

He gets the pop edge but avoids the preconceived biased people get
    Last edited by Fe 26; 10 Apr 2011 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FirstBlood View Post
    Except it never "boiled down" to that and yeller supplied a very reasonable response
    he gave a metaphor about dorks listening to mix tapes.

how does that = very reasonable response?

T I wouldn't say "Your opinion is invalid, you actually do like French food."
    how much weight would you put on their opinion of french restaurants?

probably none

imagine that