Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Carter of Mars

1. Film John Carter of Mars

I'll try and grab more info, unless Rumpy can find the other thread. If there is one. The search function is whack sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by /Film
    Willem Dafoe is out on the publicity rounds for Daybreakers, and fielding questions from i09 about Andrew Stanton’s John Carter of Mars in which he’ll be playing Tars Tarkas, a ten foot tall martian warrior.

There’s some things he would talk about - “I saw [Stanton] recently because we start in London, for studio stuff. I start next week”, “I think officially production starts the 18th”, “[Stanton] showed me the different variations of how they will shoot it, the kind of equipment I’ll have to wear, the different times I won’t have to wear certain kinds of equipment and all that”, ; and other things he wouldn’t reveal, like whether or not he’ll be wearing prosthetic arms or putting on a ’special voice’

Previously we expected shooting to start last November in Utah.

Almost a week ago, and without any fanfare, Nikki Finke listed John Carter of Mars as one of Michael Chabon’s screenwriting credits; this was then followed up by a Chabon fansite, The Amazing Website of Kavalier and Clay, and they got the author himself confirm:
    I’ve been hired to do some revisions to an already strong script by Andrew Stanton and Mark Andrews. I wrote my original screenplay The Martian Agent back in 1995 because I wished I could do Burroughs’s Barsoom. So this is pretty much a dream come true for me.
    And for me. If you aren’t doing a little dance around your room right now, then I don’t think you’ll be at my next birthday party.

Chabon’s screenplay for Spider-Man 2 (very similar in a great many respects to the shooting draft) was absolutely wonderful; better still are his novels - the very best of which, The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay has been an on-again, off-again project for Stephen Daldry for some time. Frankly, that film needs a good solid shot of Gilliam or Kong-meets-Heavenly Creatures Peter Jackson. If you don’t know it, the best pitch I can probably give it is as a parallel universe version of the creation of Superman. The comic strip, not the character, note.

The tenth issue of McSweeney’s contained The Martian Agent: A Planetary Romance, a short story I assume was adapted from said screenplay. You can read an excerpt online for free, but stumping up for the whole book - indeed, any McSweeney’s book - is pretty well recommended.
    Andrew Stanton is reportedly into casting and full-on prep for John Carter now, with shooting rumored to be scheduled for South Australian locations next year. With Chabon and Stanton working on the script, it simply can’t fail to be an absolute winner. This is something like a pulp fiction version of, say, Towne and Polanski collaborating on Chinatown but (hopefully) without the acrimony.

Yesterday we learned that Andrew Stanton’s live-action debut John Cartner of Mars was gearing up for a November shoot in Utah, and that Tom Cruise was circling, but is no longer involved with the project. It stands to reason that in the coming weeks we’ll begin to hear casting announcements.

ComingSoon noticed that Lynn Collins, best known for playing Silverfox in X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Dawn Green on the television series True Blood, tweeted “celebrating john carter of mars!!!!!!!” One could argue that Lynn might have just finished the book, or was celebrating the news that the film is going into production, but the logical conclusion is that the actress has scored a role in the sci-fi action adventure film.

The Hollywood Reporter has since confirmed that Collins has been cast in the project. The big shocker is that she’s not the only actor from X-Men Origins: Wolverine that has joined the project. Taylor Kitsch, who played Gambit in Wolverine and Tim Riggins in Friday Night Lights, has also joined the film. According to the report, “Kitsch will play the title character, Carter, while Collins is playing Dejah Thoris, the heir to the throne of Mars’ Helium kingdom.”

The film is expected to be the first of a possible trilogy. A Princess of Mar was first published in 1917. The movie will follow Civil War vet John Carter, who is transplanted to Mars, where he discovers a lush, wildly diverse planet whose main inhabitants are 12-foot tall green barbarians. Finding himself a prisoner of these creatures, he escapes, only to encounter Dejah Thoris, Princess of Helium, who is in desperate need of a savior.

Three more actors have joined Andrew Stanton’s big screen adaptation of Edgar Rice BurroughsJohn Carter of Mars: Samantha Morton (In America, Control), Dominic West (300, Chicago) and Polly Walker (Patriot Games).

Morton, West and Walker join Taylor Kitsch (Wolverine, Friday Night Lights), Lynn Collins (X-Men Origins: Wolverine, True Blood), and Willem Dafoe in the Walt Disney Pictures production. Based on A Princess of Mars, which was first published in 1917, the movie will follow Civil War vet John Carter (Kitsch), who is transplanted to Mars, where he discovers a lush, wildly diverse planet whose main inhabitants are 12-foot tall green barbarians. Finding himself a prisoner of these creatures, he escapes, only to encounter Dejah Thoris (Collins), Princess of Helium, who is in desperate need of a savior and Tars Tarkas (Dafoe), a brutal and mirthless green Martian warrior, who possesses the unusual characteristic to feel love and empathy.

According to THR: “Morton will play Sola, the daughter of Tars Tarkas, who must hide her softer side from her warmongering race. West plays Sab Than, prince of the Zodangans who believes he is entitled to rule Mars. Walker plays Sarkoja, a merciless, tyrannical Thark.”

The film is expected to be the first of a possible trilogy. Stanton wrote the screenplay with Mark Andrews, and Michael Chabon also did a draft. Last we heard, John Carter is gearing up for a November shoot in Utah. Disney is aiming for a 2011 release. Stanton has been tweeting breifly about the preproduction location scouting on twitter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dafoemars.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	51166   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cartertriocasting.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	51167  
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

2. Why the fuck can't they just call it Martian Manhunter?

3. Quote Originally Posted by Error View Post
    Why the fuck can't they just call it Martian Manhunter?

Huh?

4. oh wait wrong Martian. Never mind.

5. I don't recall seeing a thread on this.

6. I'm going to have trouble seeing Taylor Kitsch as anything other than Tim Riggins.

7. So there's a trailer now.

8. I like the idea, but that trailer failed to excite. I liked the music, not that it'll be in the movie.

9. RIGGINS.

10. This looks like Avatar, only worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr-K View Post
    I'm going to have trouble seeing Taylor Kitsch as anything other than Tim Riggins.
    I'm going to have trouble seeing Taylor Kitsch as anything other than the guy that fucked up the Wolverine movie even more than all the other dumb shit in it did.
    Last edited by Dolemite; 15 Jul 2011 at 03:52 PM.