Page 1 of 76 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Battlefield 3

1. Battlefield 3

Its been six years since the PC's Battlefield 2, a game still ahead of its time to this day due to its large scale warfare on huge maps and its complex FPS gameplay. The console's BF1943 and Battlefield Bad Company games are considered spinoff titles of the core series - smaller scale, more simplified variants of Battlefield. BF3 is a return to the core Battlefield series. BF2's true successor finally arrives Fall 2011.
    Battlefield 3 leaps ahead of the competition with the power of Frostbite™ 2, the next installment of DICE’s cutting-edge game engine. This state-of-the-art technology is the foundation on which Battlefield 3 is built, delivering superior visual quality, a grand sense of scale, massive destruction, dynamic audio and incredibly lifelike character animations. As bullets whiz by, walls crumble, and explosions throw you to the ground, the battlefield feels more alive and interactive than ever before. In Battlefield 3, players step into the role of the elite U.S. Marines where they will experience heart-pounding single player missions and competitive multiplayer actions ranging across diverse locations from around the globe including Paris, Tehran and New York.

Battlefield 3 is the true successor to Battlefield 2. Beyond our signature multiplayer, we have also included a full single-player campaign and a co-op campaign – all straight out of the box. As for fan favorite features, how does the return of jets, prone, and 64-player multiplayer (on PC) sound? All this built with our powerful new game engine Frostbite 2, which you'll hear and see a lot of in the months leading up to launch.

Features:
    -Frostbite 2 – Battlefield 3 introduces Frostbite 2, the incredible technology that takes animation, destruction, lighting, scale and audio to new heights. Built upon this powerful game engine, Battlefield 3 immerses players physically and emotionally to the world around them like never before.
    -Feel the Battle — Feel the impact of bullets and explosions, drag your fallen comrades into safety, and mount your weapon on almost any part of the terrain. Battlefield 3’s cutting edge animation, spectacular visuals and real as hell battle gameplay attack your senses and make you feel the visceral warriors experience like no other FPS.
    -Unparalleled Vehicle Warfare — The best online vehicle warfare experience gets even better with a fitting sonic boom as fighter jets headline impressive lineup of land, air and sea vehicles.
    -Urban Combat — Take the fight to iconic and unexpected places in the USA, Middle East, and Europe including claustrophobic streets, metropolitan downtowns, and open, vehicle-friendly landscapes as you fight your way through the war of tomorrow.
    The Limited Edition is just the original print run of BF3 (not an extra cost edition). The LE comes with the Back to Karkand expansion pack on day one and consists of classic Battlefield 2 maps, weapons and vehicles.
    The Battlefield 3 Limited Edition includes Battlefield 3: Back to Karkand at no extra charge*

This themed expansion pack features four legendary maps from Battlefield 2 boldly re-imagined with Frostbite 2 physics, destruction and visuals. Completing the package are classic Battlefield 2 weapons and vehicles, unique rewards, new achievements / trophies, and more. For those who don't pre-order to secure the limited edition, Battlefield 3: Back to Karkand expansion content will be available for purchase approximately one month after the game's release.
    Basically this game is going to kick the ultimate amount of ass. Time for DICE to take over.

64 players are confirmed on PC - consoles player count is still under wraps.
    More info will be arriving all throughout February 2011 and the offical video reveal is March 1st at the 2011 GDC.

The initial teaser trailer:

This was the original info from the OP of mid 2010:
    http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/b...l#post17190106
    Last edited by Destro777; 07 Feb 2011 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Reworked the OP now that the game is officially announced
    NowPlaying: Battlefield series . DarkSouls . MGS collection . Cap+SNK fighters . AceCombat series . ArmoredCore series

2. 40 vs 40 makes me smile and make the glass half full for sure! Baghdad Burning is such a great name for a map (or a Dead Kennedys song). The game sounds dreamy, but it will DEFINITELY be a PC-only game for me. The way they make it sound is that there is gonna be an almost different version of the game for us. With a dev cycle of 5 years or so, this should be the game of forever! I want some screens soon. They gotta have something ready to show if they're talkin' beta already.

3. OSX support makes me very happy. Now I just need to be able to afford an awesome Apple desktop when this comes out.

4. I updated the OP with all the new info. If any mod wants to move the last page or so of the Battlefield: Bad Company 2 thread in here - it would be appreciated.

One bit of good news regarding the console max player count - From a DICE dev's twitter:
    "We'll support as many (players) as we can +maybe extra provided it maintains the integrity of the play experience "
    There has to be some reason they arent telling us a definitive number. Theres still hope for a higher count!
    NowPlaying: Battlefield series . DarkSouls . MGS collection . Cap+SNK fighters . AceCombat series . ArmoredCore series

oh boy this is gonna rock
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

6. I can't wait.

Glad to see you guys are coming back to PC, maybe we can set up some scrims between my clan and you guys. Our BFBC2 server is doing well. It's usually full and ranked in the 95th percentile.
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

7. We are definitely coming back to PC and I'll be getting it for console as well. It all depends on what each game offers where we'll be spending the most time. If Dice is for real, this will be PC-centric. Im curious how they're gonna juggle the platform-specific stuff. It'd be nice if they'd let mod makers have the tools to make full conversions. I really miss the full on conversions like EOD, Desert Combat and Project Reality.

9. Good. I don't think I could cope with 32 enemies and pad controls at the same time.

10. The 360 controller isn't bad at all for BC2 since its squad commands are dumbed down so drastically. As for gameplay control, its a methodical game, not a spastic game like UT or Quake 3. If BF3 is going back to its hardcore roots, then yeah, mouse/key is essential for functional control.