Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need an MP3 player for the gym

Need an MP3 player for the gym

I need to pick up a new flash-based MP3 player for workouts in the gym. I currently have a hard drive based Nomad, but it's bulky and I figure the hard drive won't like being bounced up and down during workouts. My phone is too large, and I can't figure out any way of attaching it to me without risking breakage, or getting in the way of the workout.

Does anyone have any recommendations? There are 100's of MP3 players out there, and I'm having a hard time finding one since the user reviews for 99% of them all say "This player is great!" but half of the players I've actually listened to are crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

2. I use an iPod shuffle. It has a clip and it works wonders. You can get a 2GB one for about $35 if you shop around.

3. I have a Sansa Fuze and I love it. I got it for the very same reason. My Creative Zen Touch was just way too big so I needed something smaller. The Sansa Fuze is very small and lightweight, has room for expansion with a microSD slot, and there is an armband holder made for it that works perfectly for working out/yard work/ etc.. My Creative player is still the best sounding player I ever heard but the Sansa one sounds pretty good.

The Fuze is available in 4 and 8 gig models (and possibly 2 gig)

Here is a link to the player: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/SanDisk+...&skuId=9246611
    Here is a link to the armband holder: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=8728932&h=287

4. Does the shuffle still not let you play songs by album? That was always the dealbreaker for me, other than how overpriced they tend to be compared to other small-clip players.

I have a 1gb Zen Stone that gets the job done just fine. My parents use the Sansa Clip and have no complaints. That one has a clip and a screen and probably runs $10 under the shuffle nowadays.

5. With the newest generation, you can break them up into song lists, it won't do it automatically. So say you want to add Timberlake's Futuresex/Lovesound, The Leftovers's Eager to Please, and Metallica's Master of Puppets albums and you wanted them separate you'd have to make separate playlists within the player.

6. I have a mini zune for the gym. I kind of hate itunes, and the zune's a nice device with a great interface (though you're tethered to the zune software and I think it's PC only).

Yeah, the Shuffle is out for me, no micromanaging my player while it is in my hand = no sale.

The Sansa player might be the ticket, I read a review that says the SQ is pretty good, and they could turn it up louder than they could stand (very important in a noisy gym.) I might go for the clip instead of the Fuze since I don't need video. I'll check them out at Best Buy.

The Zune 4 looks appealing though, if you don't mind booger green you can get them on Amazon for $50. But I really want something that is just an audio player, my phone is much better at playing videos.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

Picked up a Sansa Clip plus, it's pretty much perfect. Audio quality is good, it's tiny and light enough that I can just clip it to my shirt. I need to throw an sd card in it, since I rip at high bitrates so 4 gb is a little cramped, but I figure I can get a giant micro sd for less than the price differnce between the 4 gb and 8 gb models.

9. Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    The Zune 4 looks appealing though, if you don't mind booger green you can get them on Amazon for $50. But I really want something that is just an audio player, my phone is much better at playing videos.
    I got a black Zune 8 refurbished from ebay for $37 shipped. They usually go for a little more than that, but if you're patient you can do it.

EDIT: n/m, too late.

Get an old ass ipod nano. I currently use an old ass ipod nano for work, and on occasion in the car and I have zero complaints.