Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123457 ... LastLast

Thread: iTunes alternatives

1. Quote Originally Posted by MarkRyan View Post
    • Automatically adding new music files to the library. I don't buy music through iTunes (I use Amazon's MP3 store). When I add new music files to my music folder, iTunes should recognize them and add them to the library for me.
    • A play queue. I think it was Winamp 5 that first introduced me to a play queue. While listening to music, I can add files to a queue that automatically get played in order--when the queue is finished, it automatically goes back to playing whatever playlist/library I was playing in the first place.
    I could have sworn Musicmatch 8 had a play queue. I d/l most of my music from eMule or Demonoid. So, I have no problems adding new music. I usually keep them in twenty different folders so prying eyes can't see shit. If it had auto detect, i'd need to keep them in one folder. Its not hard to add new music ... manually. And the closest thing to a playlist queue is the playlist folder. You know the folders at the bottom. If you go to files-> new playlist. You can add music on there, set it to shuffle, repeat, and then add new music while its playing all the time. Then instead of looking at the list. Go to the upper right icons. Three icons are there, one is the list (normal view), the second album covers(basically linking all the songs via album), the third view is is like when theres a party. You can maximize the view and its a black screen with the album. Real cool view. Pics attached to see what I mean.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	itunes1.png 
Views:	104 
Size:	277.7 KB 
ID:	57266   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	itunes2.png 
Views:	109 
Size:	663.8 KB 
ID:	57267   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	itunes3.png 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	57268  
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRyan View Post
    Automatically adding new music files to the library.
    I take it you've never seen the folder titled "automatically add to itunes" in your itunes music folder. Care to venture a guess as to what it does?
    A play queue. I think it was Winamp 5 that first introduced me to a play queue. While listening to music, I can add files to a queue that automatically get played in order--when the queue is finished, it automatically goes back to playing whatever playlist/library I was playing in the first place.
    I believe this is called a "playlist"

The complaint is usually against iPods, which don't support dragging and dropping music files from a folder view to the iPod in My Computer.
    Why the fuck would you want to do that? Create a playlist in iTunes that is set to sync to your ipod. Drag and drop all you want into that playlist. Mission accomplished.

Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    Also for clarification I'm using a little hyperbole when talking about it selling me shit, I really just mean the store link. It annoys me that it's there, but I guess it really does no harm.
    The store link bummed me out, until I started using it to subscribe to free podcasts and such. But it you really don't like it disable it in Preferences > Parental

3. I found the thing Bbobb was talking about, but still that's a lot less intuitive and convenient than the way WMP does it.

However I can't argue with the fact that WMP obviously didn't tag all my music properly with cover art, so if doing it through iTunes means all the music I give my girl will have cover art from now on then I'm all about it. EDIT: Upon fucking with it further the ability to have the store find album artwork for the entire library by cntl+a then find art work is pretty sweet.
    Last edited by Opaque; 10 Aug 2010 at 01:48 AM.

In the lower left hand corner of iTunes windo there is a little arrow, click it, your album art shows up. If you don't have album art for that album it says "drag artwork here" You can drag a jpg directly from google image search into this window.
    Your music library sucks.
    Your mother.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    However I can't argue with the fact that WMP obviously didn't tag all my music properly with cover art, so if doing it through iTunes means all the music I give my girl will have cover art from now on then I'm all about it.
    Yes, when you add artwork via itunes it adds it into the ID3 tags of the mp3 itself.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I take it you've never seen the folder titled "automatically add to itunes" in your itunes music folder. Care to venture a guess as to what it does?
    Correct, I've never seen that folder because that's not where my music goes. Rhythmbox still wins.

I believe this is called a "playlist"
    A queue is a lot neater than a simple playlist. My usual usecase is this: I'm listening to a playlist on shuffle/repeat, but want to immediately queue up a particular track in that playlist 'cause I just gotta hear it next. And maybe I'll queue up another two songs. Once the queue plays through, it goes back to playing the entire playlist on shuffle. It's essentially a jukebox feature and iTunes needs it.

Why the fuck would you want to do that?
    Because not everyone is an iTard and does things the way Apple wants them to.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Your mother.
    I was talking about Advocate's. Yours probably sucks too, though.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    In the lower left hand corner of iTunes windo there is a little arrow, click it, your album art shows up. If you don't have album art for that album it says "drag artwork here" You can drag a jpg directly from google image search into this window.
    Instantly better than WMP now, in this regard.

This thread already has great value.

8. See what happens when you don't mindlessly hate something because it's apple?
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

9. Can I make the iTunes window match Windows Aero?