Page 15 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1113141516171929 ... LastLast

Thread: Bioshock Infinite

1. I wasn't paying enough attention to even recall when it was first supposed to come out and still haven't finished the first game. Current target: Christmas Steam sale 2013.

The longer this is delayed the better it will be. I wish they just took down the release date and worked on it until it was done, like Blizzard does.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

3. It's good that Take Two is giving them an extra polish pass. As Irrational tells it, they could ship on time, but there's still some bugs and rushed bits that they'd like to have fixed on launch day. There's been a lot of rumbling about troubled development for this game, but everything we've seen looks utterly great, so it's good that they're taking the time to finish it right, even if it costs a little more.

Also, this looks less like Bioshock all the time. It seems less connected to Bioshock than Bioshock did to System Shock, except in that it highlights the breakdown of society in an isolationist city-state run by Republican ideologues (A Mind Forever Voyaging did it first!).

No religion is a Republican idea?

5. http://irrationalgames.com/insider/t...infinite-fans/
    Apparently the big theme shift from bioshock is from Ayn Rand objectivism to faith. The creator of Columbia, Zachary Cornstock, seems to hold a god/prophet like position in the society.

A month is nothing of a delay, they want the time to make this game perfect so I'm all for it. Irrational just gave the first real hands on preview and it sounds like everyone who has played it thinks it's amazing. There are previews up all over now, this game is going to be incredible.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/12/07/bi...-spoiler-free/
    http://www.joystiq.com/2012/12/07/ex...hock-infinite/

6. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    No religion is a Republican idea?
    Bioshock was largely an attack on Objectivism, the cornerstone of tea party philosophy.

Infinite seems to be largely a critique of American Exceptionalism and jingoism. The government of Columbia is also borderline theocratic, so I don't know where you get "no religion" from.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 07 Dec 2012 at 02:14 PM.

You were talking Bioshock vs. System Shock. Right at the beginning of Bioshock is "no gods, only man." I'm on media blackout for Infinite.

8. Objectivism was just an idiotic philosophy cooked up by a sociopath with a bunch of sycophant followers. Critiquing that nonsense is like shooting fish in a barrel.

On the other hand, Manifest Destiny is a very real thing and was a guiding policy in the US for practically a century, if it ever stopped being that (it hasn't). I don't think you can pin it on anyone.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    You were talking Bioshock vs. System Shock. Right at the beginning of Bioshock is "no gods, only man." I'm on media blackout for Infinite.
    No, I was talking about the common thread between Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite. The common threads between Bioshock and System Shock 2 are more obvious, although SS2 was less political.

In any event, if what you took away from Bioshock was that it was a pro-religion piece, I really don't know what to tell you. It was a scathing and transparent refutation of Ayn Rand, and if you don't think she's be an influence on the American right, well...

I said nothing about it being pro-religion. However, I thought the right had a war on women? How could she possibly be an influence?