Page 1 of 30 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Catherine

1. Catherine

We've known that many of the key people behind Persona have been working on two different projects - one bigger, and one smaller - and it seems the smaller project has now been revealed. Catherine is the first title from Atlus for the current crop of HD consoles, hitting the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 next year in Japan. Notable staff on the project are Katsura Hashino as producer and director, Shigenori Soejima as character designer, and Shouji Meguro as sound composer.

Here's some first details about the project from Andriasang:

While the game's name is Catherine, the main character is actually a 32-year-old salaryman named Vincent (voiced by Koichi Yamadera). Catherine (voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro) is a stylish 22-year-old girl who apparently has the charms of a young girl.

The game begins when Vincent, a vegetarian who has no ambition in work or love (I'm not sure if he's literally a "vegetarian," or if the term "vegetarian" is some sort of metaphor for his personality) runs into the mysterious Catherine one day. At night, he has nightmares.

The nightmares serve as an action component for the game. Set in a world with an unending stairway, Vincent has to make it to the top of the stairs, or he will not be able to awaken.

Based off Game Jouhou's summary, it's a bit unclear how the game will progress. However, it does seem that even during the nightmare action parts, you'll end up working through the story and encountering events.

During a staff interview, Hashino said that as their first HD game, rather than trying out a true RPG, the team was excited about trying out something new. It looks like Catherine will be just that, as Hashino said it will be more adult oriented than past titles from the team. It's not all style, though. Hashino promised a deep play experience with plenty of gameplay for players to sink their teeth into.

Soejima said that there are some shockingly adult scenes in the game. When you play these scenes, they'll be even more stimulating, although in a difference sense.

Meguro confirmed the adult leanings of the title, saying that the keywords for the game's music are "classic," "adult oriented" and "erotic." He also promised 5.1ch sound.

Meguro also made a comment that has Persona fans excited. He said that due to Catherine, he believes for the time being the staff won't be asked about their next title. However, at some point next year, perhaps he'll be able to respond "Regarding the RPG, Hashino and I are..."
    It has obviously taken quite some time for Atlus to join the HD console scene, but looking at the crazy amount of Japanese developers and publishers either having financial problems or completely going under in the recent past, I can't fault Atlus for treading carefully and not doing bigger-budget projects until they're really ready to.

Something rather interesting for Catherine is the age of the main characters; having a 32-year-old "hero" in a Japanese game is pretty crazy. Talking to Mr. Nick Rox, he pondered if this, among a few other things, shows that this game is also being crafted to target the West as well, and not just be a Japanese gamer-focused title. Of course, there's no announcement yet if this will hit outside of Japan, but at least for us in North America, Atlus USA has gotten to the point where they pass up very few major titles released by Atlus Japan. Depending on how the gameplay turns out, this might not be the kind of title that usually seems a sure thing in the West, but I think we've been seeing more and more titles like that come out over here in recent years. Hell, if NIS brings over the Prinny-based digital comic adventure game for the struggling PSP, Atlus can bring this over.

Another very interesting point is that it seems we already know Vincent: he was one of the social links for the new female main character in Persona 3 Portable. While never actually named, the look is pretty much the same, he talks about having a story "he'll tell you more about", and checking the data on the UMD for P3P has his portrait image labeled "Vincent".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20k7xb4.jpeg 
Views:	284 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	57380   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	loading.jpeg 
Views:	342 
Size:	651.1 KB 
ID:	57381   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	femh03.png 
Views:	2807 
Size:	205.2 KB 
ID:	57382  
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

2. I saw anime boobs, and I became interested.

3. Pizza and boobs? Add in beer and you'd have the holy trinity.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

4. I like the core story concept behind this game. Mark me as interested.

5. I'm gay for Atlus so count me in.

6. pioneering the herbivore man genre

7. "Shockingly adult scenes" Unless that means "doing taxes" or "debating politics", this means "lol, Night Trap".
    Donk

8. Seeing that it has a "vegetarian" aka herbivore aka modern day Japanese slang for girly pussy men, I don't see how this targets any Western audience.

Also, Japanese designers need to learn how to draw real looking boobs, not the fake hard ones.
    Last edited by Shou; 18 Aug 2010 at 08:56 PM.
    Become History
    Awesome stuff I'm selling | Backloggery | Tumblr
    2013 Completion (2): PC (1), 360 (1)

9. Screenshots!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0818ca01.jpeg 
Views:	262 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	57387   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0818ca02.jpeg 
Views:	276 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	57388   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0818ca03.jpeg 
Views:	266 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	57389   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0818ca04.jpeg 
Views:	277 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	57390  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0818ca05.jpeg 
Views:	267 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	57391   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0818ca06.jpeg 
Views:	262 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	57392   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0818ca07.jpeg 
Views:	266 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	57393   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0818ca08.jpeg 
Views:	252 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	57394  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0818ca09.jpeg 
Views:	267 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	57395   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0818ca10.jpeg 
Views:	271 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	57396   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0818ca11.jpeg 
Views:	275 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	57397   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0818ca12.jpeg 
Views:	265 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	57398  

WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

10. Is the male lead named "Heathcliff"?