Page 1 of 90 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Minecraft

1. Minecraft

Minecraft is just too damn much fun not to have a thread for. Post a screenshot or two, I want to see what you've built.

My world at night- home base tower in the middle, bridge on the right, lavafall aqueduct on the left. Waterfall over a cliff with a cave, emanating from a fountain in the middle background. Plus a pile of other projects elsewhere out of the shot.

Click for full size

Fun discovery- if you want to make your aqueduct look a bit weathered, maybe have a hole or two in it, be careful of starting a forest fire with the lava runoff. It's especially fun when zombies catch on fire and spread the burning around.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mcraft21.jpg 
Views:	4282 
Size:	696.9 KB 
ID:	57419  
    Last edited by James; 20 Aug 2010 at 01:27 AM.

How'd you do the lavafall? Did you find a lava flow that high?

Here's my underwater dome, by the way:
    Click for full size

Name:	minecraft1.jpg 
Views:	4010 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	57420  

3. Lots and lots of buckets, combined with digging a series of deep shafts that also intersected some nice tunnels, and a lava flow from way up at the top of a mountain. The aqueduct is stupidly (obsessively) long and 3/4 full of lava. I only did the end out of order because I wanted to test an idea about making the lava flow properly. Took some doing but I'm happy with the result. Just a pile more buckets to haul and it's complete.

Click for full size

For some reason, Cartograph renders a good amount of the lava green.

Name:	world.jpg 
Views:	3165 
Size:	867.7 KB 
ID:	57422  
    Last edited by James; 20 Aug 2010 at 02:02 AM.

4. I could post a shot of what I've been building but I've given up on construction while I look around in underground caverns. That and I'm considering restarting to make a harbor area instead.

BTW, F11 switches to fullscreen.

5. Ed, can you please explain to me what this game is about?
    Quick zephyrs blow, vexing daft Jim.

Minecraft is entirely unique. Crafting, construction, farming, exploration, survival. It's also very open-ended since there's no win condition yet. The random world generator itself is pretty amazing too. Floating islands, oceans, mountains, natural caverns, monster dungeons, etc.

The idea is to make a house so the monsters who come out at night won't eat you. The fun is in making an AWESOME house. Construction is easy; you can break and place blocks at will, so long as you have the materials to do so. You get blocks/tools/boats/minecarts/jukeboxes by destroying existing blocks and monsters and combining the stuff at a workbench.

For something that looks so primative, it's surprisingly atmospheric. There really isn't anything like exploring the world and caves below.

This sold me on the game in the first place:

There are two versions at the moment: The old (but free) classic version and the in-development alpha (~$13, soon to go up in price). Classic is very different and not nearly as rad IMO. Both are playable in your browser and there's a standalone client for the alpha version.

Notch (the developer) usually updates the game through the week with a special secret update every Friday. Multiplayer was just enabled but it's still pretty buggy.
    Last edited by epmode; 20 Aug 2010 at 08:45 AM.

7. I just dicked around with it for 20 mins or so. I'm fairly amazed that anyone would want to spend more time with it than that, but to each their own, I guess.

8. Takes an hour or so after you've built up, gone exploring, and faced a few nights of monsters for the game to get good.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

9. Yeah, I'd say it takes about an hour to get settled. I posted this in the PC thread:

As soon as you spawn, start beating up tree trunks. You'll need to keep the mouse button held longer for these than you would for dirt or sand. Anyway, get a ~dozen pieces of wood, open your inventory and place the stack into the upper left combination slot. This makes lumber. Make enough lumber so that you can place 1 lumber in each of the 4 combination slots. This makes a workbench and you'll need it to make just about everything else.

Keep this in a separate window and you can figure out the rest pretty quickly:

10. Someone should post their IP for survival multi