Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How is rap still a genre?

1. How is rap still a genre?

Brisco said something interesting a while back that really made me think:

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco Bold View Post
    Just because two things seem similar doesn't mean they are. Also, to repeat, I said rap is an act, and hip-hop is a culture. These are two different things, and I'm drawing a distinction between the two. I'm not being difficult, I'm explaining the difference.

Rap = I am rapping
    Hip-hop = the clothes, the type of DJing, the graffiti, the lifestyle (!), etc.
    So I was sitting on this and wondering how long it will be before Rap is no longer a genre. If you really break it down rapping and singing are both the putting of language over music, a beat or a some style of some sort. We don't have "sing songs" so how do we have "rap songs"?

The way I figure it Rap is probably just too new to have had the same experience singing had. Rapping started a little over thirty years ago? Singing is believed to have been going on for thousands of years. Over enough time I'd hypothesis that just as singing became something that was done within genres but was not it's own, rap will be the same.

Opinions?

2. It is monotone (for the most part singing). Talking over music has probably gone one for thousands of years as well.
    Check out Mr. Businessman
    He bought some wild, wild life
    On the way to the stock exchange
    He got some wild, wild life

3. Tangentially-related: Drum'n'bass DJ sets (at least in L.A.) have been utterly ruined by MCs (read: wannabe rappers).

Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    Brisco said something interesting a while back that really made me think:

So I was sitting on this and wondering how long it will be before Rap is no longer a genre. If you really break it down rapping and singing are both the putting of language over music, a beat or a some style of some sort. We don't have "sing songs" so how do we have "rap songs"?

The way I figure it Rap is probably just too new to have had the same experience singing had. Rapping started a little over thirty years ago? Singing is believed to have been going on for thousands of years. Over enough time I'd hypothesis that just as singing became something that was done within genres but was not it's own, rap will be the same.

Opinions?
    One interpretation of it is that is monotone singing ( as Anthony said).

Another possibility is that it is just a fad and it will become something that old white men play in bars. Like ventures tribute bands, or guys who really wish they were BB King.

And before anyone freaks out, that was no a cut against rap or the impact it has had. Surf and blues had a huge impact too. But you don't see either causing huge cultural shifts anymore. And for every person who plays either of those with any real importance and purpose in the manner in which they used to be played, there are 50 pudgy old white dude bands playing the shit for free on friday.

I guess the next question would be, is rap a fad? Yes, no? And either way, will it too go to the way side and be replaced by something else, bigger, and strikingly different?

maybe people will make hambone rock songs. Maybe slapping the knea with spoons, micced through a 100 watt head will be the shit our kids are jamming out too. Who knows.

5. We need to take away Opaque's ability to make threads.
    Boo, Hiss.

6. Because of this:

7. My question was never aimed at whether rap should still be around, just at how it could be that a style of vocalization is a genre and not just something done in other genres.

There is no genre of music called "singing", it is already assumed when you say certain other genres though that singing will be or could be involved. Hip hop for example is a genre where you could be safe to assume that rapping could take place. I'm just wondering how long until "rap" no longer counts as a genre in itself.

8. Probably about the same length of time it'll take for R&B, country, punk, blues, hardcore, metal, adult contemporary and power lesbian to no longer count. If it's all just singing it'd all be one genre already. Sure people can rap over what they think is 'rock n roll' but that doesn't make it rap any more than some dude playing a guitar on a rap song makes that rock n roll. Therefore rap music is a genre.

Thread solved

9. Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    Because of this:

and the cancer that's killing it:

"Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

10. In a round about way that difference might make some of you understand what I'm talking about when I say not all songs which contain rap should be considered the same genre. That's the same fucking song and it's not even the same genre.

I just don't think what Eazy-E did should be called the same thing that Soulja Boy does. There needs to be a quick way to say that the kind of music Soulja Boy makes when he raps sucks, kind of like what the label of country music does.