Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Annoyed with Hollywood North

Annoyed with Hollywood North

I was going to write a blog instead but then noticed that another blog said pretty much everything I was going to.
    http://filmchatblog.blogspot.com/200...tself-for.html

Growing up in the Vancouver area, I have spent a lot of movie/TV watching time recognizing familiar spots in them. It is the third most common area for filming Hollywood movies from what I hear. While that's cool and all, after three decades or so, it's gets a little annoying that virtually none of them are actually set here (a couple exceptions would be that Antonio Banderas/Lucy Liu shitfest Ecks vs Sever and part of an X-Files episode). They are pretty much always changed to US locations.

I do understand why many don't take place here. Some are set in outer space, some are based on stories that already have American cities in their plots, and some are only partially filmed here. I understand that this city isn't as popular or significant as NYC. But, there are plenty of movies that could take place anywhere. Why always change Vancouver to Seattle or somewhere else? I really don't think the world is going freak out and not go see Hollywood movies if the occasional one takes place here. It's not like they would even be advertising that fact in trailers anyway.

Anyway, I'm not sure if anyone not living here will give a shit but I felt like mentioning it.

2. They only do that to save money.

3. I lived in Vancouver for 3 years and dealt with a lot of people in the film/television industry. It was largely to save money, but for many stories set in fictional cities, it was useful to have a big modern city whose landmarks most Americans wouldn't recognize. Vancouver also seemed pretty accommodating for productions by closing roads or blocking off parts of UBC, but I'm not really sure how other cities handle it.

Because lol Canada. That's why.

5. It always annoys me when town a was shot in town b. Take Leathernecks, placed in the very cool town of Duluth, MN, but shot in North Carolina? What sense does that make??

Anyhow, like you said, it's more prominent where you are because so many movies are made there. You're like the wetbacks of the film industry. It's a business decision not a creative one, and all the guys making the money, from the execs to the local gaffers to City Hall don't care. The only people that would care are the actors and audience, who have no say, and the directors and producers, which I'm guessing there aren't many from Vancouver, and the rest want to make the city in their city but chose Vancouver because it's cheaper and more convenient.

There's no reason why half the movies made in Vancouver couldn't be set there, I would certainly prefer it, it's just that no one who could do it gives a damn.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

6. Parts of Leatherheads was shot here in Greenville. The city made a big deal about it.
    Boo, Hiss.

7. scott pilgrim is set in Toronto and people think thats one of the reasons it bombed. i don't care if they don't have Toronto as the setting, so long as we get more work.

8. I guarantee you that Scott Pilgrim didn't bomb because it was set in Toronto.

No one who didn't see Scott Pilgrim could answer the question 'Where does it take place?'

9. I haven't seen Scott Pilgrim yet because every time I tried, the theater it was in reeked of sweat and Mt Dew.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

Quote Originally Posted by Error View Post
    scott pilgrim is set in Toronto and people think thats one of the reasons it bombed. i don't care if they don't have Toronto as the setting, so long as we get more work.
    I can't imagine it having anything to do with it being in Toronto. I wonder how much mainstream appeal the movie has. As someone not familiar with Scott Pilgrim, the trailer barely made any sense to me. It's not like Batman or Spiderman where everyone knows what it's about even if they don't read comics. Plus, whatever quirky appeal that castroti Michael Cera had has probably faded.