Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lets talk about Pitch Black

1. Lets talk about Pitch Black

Talking about Vin Diesel, in couple other threads, broght me an idea, to make a thread about this recent scifi/horror film.

It was released in theaters during summer of 2000, it had a succesful run for the small film with very moderate budget. Sure, some people called it just a Alien clone, and said its just a gross fest. But what do they know about a good movie?

I loved, when I saw it with my friends. Interesting story, great direction, nice sets and lighting(even though most of the film duration takes place on the desert planet, the way they displayed it was excellent, and excellent use of various light fx, be it blinding day light, orange twighlight, or the impression eclipse, and that pitch black darkness that follows.

This film combined tense action and scary scenes, some very good fx work, some unique creature designs, and some nicely done death scenes into one tight package

Vin Diesel as Riddick, perfect anti-hero, tought, brutal, and bad ass, was great. This was the role that established him as somewhat action star, and lead to last year Fast and Furious and this summer XXX. I loved when Riddick went head to head against one of the creature in the hand to hand combat. And his night vision abilities were great as well.

I'm looking forward Riddick Chronicles, the sequel currently being dveloped, that would follow more adventures of Vin Diesel character.

So, Anyone else likes it here?

While I missed it in theatres I rented in last month and thought it was very good, this Movie made me a Vin Diesel fan and I hope the sequel goes through, interesting I never knew there was one planned?

3. I've had it on DVD for a long time. Great movie.

I thought that scene were he went 'head to head' with the creature was incredibly lame and unbelievable though.

i thougt it was really good too. Very needlessly bashed. And i really didn't expect it to end the way it did, which is rare. I can't wait for the sequel.

5. I'm with ya 100 percent, Despair.

Fantastic movie. I saw it twice in the theaters. I should probably grab the DVD one of these days.

DacaZ
    Look out, man, Wooly's gone ape-shit.

6. I've had the DVD since it's release. I like the movie. I thought it had some good ideas. The ending could have been better though. The thing I still don't get about the DVD is that rave special. Why the hell did they even take the time to promote the movie through raves?

Later all...

Yea thats weird I mean if it were a movie about Glow Sticks............

8. Personally, I thought this movie reaked of ass. Vin Deisel plays the most stupid character, and the bit where he tricks the alien thing by following his movement with his face was fucking retarded.

9. Why was it retarded? I thought it was a great scene. It showed how bad ass his character really was, if he can stand up to the one of the creature with just his hands. One of my favorite scenes in the movie.

The way it ended was also surprising, and I also love the part when the traitor guy runs in the dark, then flashes his flashlight, to just discover he is surrounded by the creatures. Really cool

10. I've had the pleasure of meeting the director David Twohy (he's the brother of a friend of my mom's) and I must say he's the embodiment of the anti-Hollywood stereotype: he's approachable, likeable, enthusiastic, and genuine. I was very glad that Pitch Black did as well as it did at the box office, and even more so that it's gathered quite a cult following.

Let's face it - it's EASY to make a bad sci-fi creature film. Pitch Black is what happens when a crew approaches a beaten-to-death topic with inspiration and intelligence. It is an example of imitation being flattery without being a cheap rip-off. The creatures weren't the stars of the Pitch Black, like in so many horror films - the human characters were. Frye, Riddick, and Johns were three extremely well-written people, and they're the main reason why Pitch Black is so memorable. The casting was great, but I must admit that Vin Diesel is a TERRIBLE actor. Yes, he looked the part, but he delivered his lines either flatly or with the exact wrong vocal tonation. I love the film, and Vin works in it, but his performance is still cringe-worthy.

Pitch Black also sticks to my theory that many of the best films deal with a few characters in a small number of locations (one or two). That way, the film has to ride on the plot and character development for it to work, and Pitch Black certainly does that. It's the type of film that is getting rarer and rarer these days. It wasn't perfect, but it did more things right than most films of its type could ever hope to achieve.

I saw it three times in the theater, and bought the DVD on release day. It's a film I'll enjoy for many years to come, and never gets old because it's done so smartly.

I also give props the the fantastic soundtrack - as far as I know, an official soundtrack CD was never released.

Pitch Black and Jeepers Creepers are the two best horror films I've seen in the last few years.

Satoshi Kon: 1963-2010