Page 1 of 20 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Atlus Dissolved by Parent Company

Atlus Dissolved by Parent Company

Quote Originally Posted by Joystiq
    Index Holdings, the company that owns Japanese game developer and publisher Atlus, dissolved the JRPG maker as an independent entity on Monday, bringing its game division under the direct control of the parent company. Whether Atlus' publishing or foreign arms will survive the transition remains to be seen. At the very least, the Atlus brand will continue, according to a short press release by the firm's public relations department.
    The move came as part of an ongoing attempt by Index to narrow its business focus to a handful of core, profitable areas, and Index has apparently been making key business decision for Atlus for some time. The mobile phone-based Persona 3 social game announced earlier this month, for example, was started under orders from Index.

The holding company has made no mention of what properties or exact divisions will survive the transition. However, the director of Atlus' recently announced PS3/Xbox 360 game Catherine, Katsura Hashino, released a statement on the game's official website that didn't directly address the issue, but implied that his team, along with an unspecified number of others were not affected by the change.
    Link

Hopefully this is a complete non-issue, but these reorgs rarely know when to leave well enough alone.

I hate holding companies and investment firms.

I'm still pissed that one bought Ampeg and moved everything to China. There are not enough bad words to say, and things to break.

3. I like Atlus. Please don't fuck it up.

4. What is wrong with these fucking companies?

5. I'm not getting worried about this just yet, but... I am a little worried. (Shut up, that makes sense to me.)

Atlus seems to be a company good at not releasing things that totally tank, well except for a few of the MegaTen side projects that came out (NINE and Imagine). Initially, my first concern would be of a name change, but I'd hope they wouldn't be stupid enough to drop the Atlus brand. After that, concern would be over the general management of the company, which I hope doesn't change much.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

6. Quote Originally Posted by That Article
    Index has apparently been making key business decision for Atlus for some time.
    Move along, nothing to see here.
    -Kyo

7. Quote Originally Posted by Thief Silver View Post
    What is wrong with these fucking companies?
    Nobody buys Atlas games enough for them to be profitable. That's what.

Prepare for Atlas to be making shitty iPhone DLC-oriented games from now on from the sounds of that "social game" marching order Index gave them. A shame - Disgaea was outstanding stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

8. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post

Prepare for Atlas to be making shitty iPhone DLC-oriented games from now on from the sounds of that "social game" marching order Index gave them. A shame - Disgaea was outstanding stuff.
    Not sure which company you're talking about, but it isn't Atlus. Also, Disgaea has nothing to do with Atlus - they were just the publisher for the first game until NIS got proper NA facilities and took over duties themselves.
    Last edited by mollipen; 30 Aug 2010 at 07:35 PM.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post

What do you base any of this on?
    -Kyo

10. Hopefully a non-issue. Atlus is one of those rare companies that seemed to support itself well on a niche fanbase and smart choices in publishing.