Page 28 of 44 FirstFirst ... 142426272829303242 ... LastLast

Thread: Resident Evil 6

1. RE4 felt like a horror game to me still. RE5 did not.
    Check out Mr. Businessman
    He bought some wild, wild life
    On the way to the stock exchange
    He got some wild, wild life

2. I get that enemies dropping ammo is out of place for RE and survival horror in general.

I guess the thing about RE4 was that it was a forgivable thing, since you still felt back-to-the-wall in many situations. Also the areas felt more interesting, because you would find hidden areas, rooms you couldn't get to, areas you'd have to go back through (that were tense enough the first time), and such. The RE6 demo just has you running in a single path, shooting at dudes. Which is more Action Mans than survival horror.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

So mainly level design made it feel more like survivor horror and less like an action game. OK, I can see that.

I still prefer the old REs to 4 (especially REmake, the best RE evar). I quite enjoyed RE5 co-op, it was actually a lot of fun and the QTEs were actually pretty exciting. Watching Wesker break Chris's neck when you fucked up was priceless.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

4. You either play RE5 in co-op or you skip it entirely, it's that simple.

5. GamesTM did a four-page preview spread thing a couple months ago and spent much of it tearing the game apart. Hopefully this is the Spirits Within-caliber bloated affair that finally puts Capcon out of its misery.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    You have to think of it this way:

Are you the kind of person who enjoys third person shooters with large monsters, dumb as shit normal enemies that just shuffle around, zombies that are Super Soldiers (so not really zombies, just smaller monsters), and are largely concerned with gameplay being action first and scripting "scares" into cutscenes and QTEs?

THEN RE6 IS GOTY ALL THE WAY!!!

If the sound of an easier, far less scary Dead Space with 'splosions everywhere isn't your idea of a good time, RE6 is gonna make you cry.
    Soooooooo... What you're saying is this is GotY. Like some sort of Michael Bay surivival horror game.

7. They scrapped Resident Evil 2 and started over when it was, like, 80% complete or something. It'd be great if they did the same thing here.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Cheebs View Post
    Like some sort of Michael Bay surivival horror game.
    Except the part where "Michael Bay" is the antithesis to survival horror. The necessity to blow shit up in one negates any sense of tension, scarcity, and isolation in another.

Effectively, anyone who trumpets the crowning "story" of RE but slams on the movies, especially after playing this, needs to re-evaluate their values of story. Since RE6 effectively treats the series the same way as the movies - as an action extravaganza. Which isn't bad in its own right, but the demo makes it RE6 feel like a B-list action game than anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

9. My initial playthrough of RE5 was something that I remember enjoying, but nothing special. A slightly worse version of RE4 that needs to be played in co-op. We played split screen. It was hard to see.

Thanks to the recent Steam sale, though, we just went all out and started some PC version LAN co-op on Veteran, and it was excellent. "How is this even the same game?" excellent. That big initial battle took us a few tries and was pretty intense, with lots of fun tag team melee action and fast item use.
    Last edited by Tain; 26 Sep 2012 at 11:40 PM.

10. Reviews are coming in.

Gamespot gave it a 4.5/10. lol.