Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2030323334353638 ... LastLast

Thread: Resident Evil 6

1. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    Problem is everything I've read has said that Leon's game is by far the best and it's the other two that are complete shit. So all of you saying the game is good but having just played the Leon part are not selling the game to me
    I just started Chris's campaign, and I'm finding it pretty awesome. Have no idea what the other 2 are like, but I am pretty invested at this point. I'm not saying you or anyone else should buy it. Just saying I had no expectations going in, and I am really liking it and don't get the poor reviews.

GiantBomb's Brad said the Leon campaign was the worst.

Some weird stuff going on with RE6, I am telling you.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

3. I think everyone expected something else, and they're all getting it, in different parts of the game.

4. My trepidation stems from demo being so, so bad. RE4 really felt buttoned up and great - you may not have liked the gameplay there, but it did what it wanted well.

RE5 felt more adrift. Like it was hanging onto RE4 while trying to figure out what it was. Not quite full action or horror/tension/survival, just a sort of in-between. Still controlled really well.

RE6 feels like it wants to be a multitude of different types of games for different types of gamers and executes all of it poorly. It feels like 3 B-grade games jammed into one - like if by virtue of quantity, it excuses the terribleness. Like if Capcom decided to put Lost Planet 2, DMC4, and Bonic Commando into one box and then find themselves agape that no one likes them MORE than before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

5. Played most of Chris campaign last night. It's pretty good! I was surprised to find that it has an almost completely unique cast of enemies. The campaign definitely has its own flavor to it when compared to Leon's, but stuff like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Hero
    RE6 feels like it wants to be a multitude of different types of games for different types of gamers and executes all of it poorly. It feels like 3 B-grade games jammed into one - like if by virtue of quantity, it excuses the terribleness. Like if Capcom decided to put Lost Planet 2, DMC4, and Bonic Commando into one box and then find themselves agape that no one likes them MORE than before.
    ...is way off the mark. In no way does it feel like three drastically different (and bad) games mashed together. It's one game divided into three parts that use the same combat foundation, each having its own set of weapons, enemies, and environments. Each of these parts has, so far, contained a surprising amount of variety on their own. And while the quality isn't as consistent as a short campaign like Vanquish, the hiccups are surprisingly rare.
    Last edited by Tain; 04 Oct 2012 at 09:52 AM.

Just wait him out, Tain. If a Wii U port is announced, Hero will change his tune in roughly 3.7 seconds. Meanwhile, your impressions have likely sold me the PC version whenever Capcom gets around to wanting my money.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Tain View Post
    In no way does it feel like three drastically different (and bad) games mashed together. It's one game divided into three parts that use the same combat foundation, each having its own set of weapons, enemies, and environments. Each of these parts has, so far, contained a surprising amount of variety on their own. And while the quality isn't as consistent as a short campaign like Vanquish, the hiccups are surprisingly rare.
    It's interesting then that they would choose to use a demo to highlight some of the worst parts of the game, or that it's getting panned as it has. Typically games journos are all too excited to fawn over some slop just because there's a big dev/pub behind it or a fair amount of inside-baseball hype. Yet RE6 is getting some really really bad reviews.

Its one of those instances where what I've experienced was so bad that I wouldn't want to put down $60 on it because someone else says that it's really, really good. I would love to rent it so I could see for myself (but that ain't happening), or just wait til its cheap enough to give it a go.

8. It might sound ridiculous, but the demo doesn't give you time to get a grip on all of the player actions. The controls aren't super complicated or obtuse or anything (especially compared to, say, MGS games), but I think that a brief tutorial section and a demo that focused more on the game's combat (which there is plenty of in all campaigns) would have helped the game's perception a ton. I thought the demo was so-so when I briefly tried it, but I had way more fun with Chris's demo section when I reached it in the full game and was making better use of the options available.

If you don't see yourself ever adjusting to and/or having fun with combat-heavy sections of the demo, you probably won't enjoy the game. The full game has more open areas and larger-scale fights, and the Leon section of the demo is otherwise a largely non-interactive intro, but if you don't have fun with the melee, the on-the-ground stuff, and so on, you won't like the game.
    Last edited by Tain; 04 Oct 2012 at 11:46 AM.

9. Hmm...well, reading that and seeing that Redbox is good for something every now and then and has this, I'll give it a rent. After loving 4 & liking 5 enough, I really want 6 to be good. So let's find out!

10. Tain is pretty much on the money. Once you start to figure out what works and how to use the different styles of combat, the controls and gameplay feel pretty good. So far, Chris and Leon campaign are both very different when it comes to enemies, weapons, and locals, but you still feel it is the same story. I really like when you occasionally run into the other characters and get a brief glimpse of their story,and then see it from their point of view when you get to their campaign. Gives it that RE1 and 2 feel. It's not all run from point A to B, and even when it is, there are some larger areas to explore while doing so.