Page 1 of 31 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Meat Boy

1. Super Meat Boy

Super Meat Boy is coming out for XBLA, PC, and Wiiware. It is the feature game in Microsoft's Game Feast event and will be released on October 20th for $15 on XBLA. After having extensively played it during PAX, I can say that it's definitely a day-one purchase and would recommend this game to anyone who is a fan of hardcore platforming.

One of the cool features the game has is its Dark World mechanic. If you beat a stage with a Grade A+ rating, you unlock the Dark World version of the stage. The Dark World version is the same stage with a bunch of additional hazards located throughout the level that increases its difficulty level. Going through the Dark World is optional, but it's there to challenge you if you're good in the regular game.

The Warp Zones take you to special stages that have special rules. Some make the game play like a SNES or Game Boy game, in which it looks differently (Game Boy colors in the Game Boy levels) and offer only a limited number of lives to beat its stages. Other Warp Zone allow you to play as characters from other indie games in stages specifically designed for those characters. The one in the demo I played was Commander Video from Bit.Trip.Runner. I know that the main character from Braid is another character in this game.

You will die a lot in this game. But when you finally beat a level, you can save a replay of that level which shows your last 40 attempts. The gameplay trailer I posted has examples of all the Meat Boy attempts running around.

Definitely add this title to your watch list. If you have any questions about the game, let me know.

Last edited by Cowdisease; 06 Sep 2010 at 12:26 AM.
    R.I.P. Paragon Studios

2. bah
    Last edited by Bacon McShig; 06 Sep 2010 at 12:43 AM.

3. In my rush to post about this game, I neglected to post the trailer for the game, which perfectly demonstrates the replay feature I was talking about. The first post has been updated.
    R.I.P. Paragon Studios

4. Jesus that's an ugly fucking game. Like, lazy art direction and design.

It looks fun though.

5. I am too old for this game.... games like this just do nothing for me.

6. It's N+ but with multiscreen levels and stage variety. What's not to like?

7. so it's N 2

edit: boourns

8. I'm glad to see this somehow jumped to being an Xbox lead instead of Wii. Edmund McMillen makes some interesting games, and I will be playing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon McShig View Post
    It's N+ but with multiscreen levels and stage variety. What's not to like?
    Everything.

Also: you can take that $15 and shove it right up your ass. $5 or fuck off.

10. I AM A SUCKER FOR SOME GOD-DAMN WALL JUMPING, I WILL WAIT FOR THIS TO BE IN SOME SORT OF HUMBLE INDY PACK 2 AND THEN I WILL GET IT.

CAPS LOOOOCK.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!