Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does Volunteering Serve To Make One a Hero?

Does Volunteering Serve To Make One a Hero?

This is an internal debate that I have had for a while. Our military force is completely voluntary. It can be a terrible job at times, but ultimately, it is a job that the members have asked to have. Does this make the people who serve any different or more noble than other people with other types of dangerous or unglamorous jobs?

2. You saying cops and firemen aren't heroes? That's crazy.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Tones View Post
    Does this make the people who serve any different or more noble than other people with other types of dangerous or unglamorous jobs?
    No. It proves you're committed to your ideals and are willing to sacrifice whatever it takes to protect what you think is right. I think that same statement applies to firefighters and police and rescue workers who get into the profession for those reasons. There are people who volunteer for the army because it's a job that pays, just like any other. I couldn't tell you exactly what "makes one a hero", but I don't believe the criteria outlined here does.

4. There's no absolutes. Our most enthusiastic volunteer might be a huge scumbag doing things for sadistic reasons, our most reluctant doing 'em out of a sense of selfless aulterism and community. And everything in between.

Support our troops, even if John Michael the Marine is a despicable scumbag motherfucker who should step on a landmine to the disappointment of no one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

5. I think it all depends on the reason for service and who they are heroes to. I think our service men (especially those who join for the point of service and have to fight in combat) are heroes to the general ideals of our country. They may not do anything heroic after the fact, but their initial action of joining is somewhat of a heroic one. They may also be heroes to those that oppose military service as their action of volunteering prevents a conscription act being put into place.

It's really a tough debate to have because there are so many factors. Anyone who does something for his country and ideal is a hero in someway I think.
    http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1739&dateline=1225393453

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    They may also be heroes to those that oppose military service as their action of volunteering prevents a conscription act being put into place.
    This is a good point, however, I wonder if the support for our current wars would change if everyone's own sons and daughters were at risk for the draft?

7. With the current social climate, I think there would be (or would've been rather) large scale riots and complete public resistance. The Vietnam war was a little different because I don't think that civil disorder was very popular beforehand.
    http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1739&dateline=1225393453

8. Fuck everyone in the military.

Mercenaries.
    Boo, Hiss.

A job is a job.

10. I know a few actual mercenaries. Good guys, actually. Canadian mercs tend to do work more in Africa to aid people than anything. Canada doesn't look kindly on it but if you get paid in American by an American holding company they don't have much recourse and ignore it.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 12 Nov 2011 at 10:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."