Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 12345717 ... LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy XIV

1. Quote Originally Posted by general_tao View Post
    Lindblum, Baratheon Tao
    If any of us are actually going to buy this at the end of the month we should decide on a server.
    Quote Originally Posted by StriderKyo
    Almost every single impression of this game seems to be negative so far.
    I do like it, but it's not amazing or anything. It's the casual-friendly FFXI expansion pack, now with less classes.

Considering my current state of free time with friends and school I might end up making FFXIV my main MMO (depending on the community) as I do really like the world, the quests are good, the controls are fine once you're used to them, and I love the multi-classing that's so easily swapped. They seem to have done away entirely with some of the real-time events that would intrude on progressing while having a life (like crafting and hunting during elemental days), so that helps even more with the casual nature, although I have no idea if they're going to have a crazy month-long system for getting chocobos again. It's not as direct fun and action-game-esque to play as WoW is (or as Star Wars Online will likely be), but it's a slower, beautiful world that's more about taking your time.

Or maybe that sounds like a series of apologetic excuses. Regardless, free open beta is free. Download and try it out. (Unless your machine is shit, in which case you get to wait for the PS3 version next year.) They are patching the game literally every single day so far, so who knows how exactly it will be at launch.

2. And just like that Mech makes me want to try the demo.

I want a game I can play when I want, if I want, and I won't be super far behind everyone else in terms of ability. You made this sound like that game, so I'm gonna get the beta now.

3. I think they implemented something with leveling so you can't have the waste of life effect. Iirc, they implemented a ruleset where you can only gain a certain amount of xp in a certain timeframe so you don't have all the Koreans and people with no lives having level 80 characters the day it comes out.

4. Well the game has guildleves, which are basically quests that you can tackle alone or with a group. You pick the difficulty depending on how many people are with you (1-5 stars, from solo up to a maximum of 15 people in a group), more people and higher difficulty means tougher quest with more xp. Since people are limited from grinding their asses off for one class you'll likely see a wider range of well-rounded players, and hopefully means catching up shouldn't be too hard for regular people. You can also redistribute your stats to reflect your class, though from what I've heard you can only move a certain amount a couple times a day. So you won't be able to go from high level physical damage to high level healer in a split second, though you will be able to have properly adjusted stats by the next day (again, this is just heresy I've read, take it with a grain of salt). As far as I know this should not affect the gathering classes, so being a mage in a group and then going fishing shouldn't limit you in any way.

To go along with all that is that you're leveling in two different ways simultaneously. You have a main classless level called your physical level, which is what gives you new stats and always goes up regards of what your profession is. Then there's your class level, which is whatever you're currently set up as, and leveling that gives you new abilities for that class. At least as far as what I've experience and understand goes, they do throw a lot at the player and don't really bother to explain a whole lot.

The game is missing a lot of quests that SE claims will be in the final product, so there should hopefully be even more to do at launch. I've only gotten to like physical level 5 but haven't had to party & grind yet, but even in FFXI that didn't happen until like level 15 or so, so things could still go that way. At least so far they seem to have learned a lot even with it being as similar as it is.

For anyone that wants to try it out, check this site: http://www.ffxivcore.com/topic/12719...-instructions/
    They have download links and torrents for all the patches, so if SE's official launcher torrent hates you (like it does me) this way will likely be quicker. They have instructions for where to put everything too, make sure stuff goes in the right location once you've downloaded it.

5. Dyne: have you read any of the posts above yours, at all?

6. Quote Originally Posted by Dyne View Post
    I think they implemented something with leveling so you can't have the waste of life effect. Iirc, they implemented a ruleset where you can only gain a certain amount of xp in a certain timeframe so you don't have all the Koreans and people with no lives having level 80 characters the day it comes out.
    http://www.the-nextlevel.com/tnl/thr...post1064534165

7. This game is the first thing in the year and a half since I lost my old D drive that has made me edit the registry to recognize another folder as my Documents folder.

It wouldn't install because I didn't have 12g of free space on the drive that directed to, which makes sense, since there's no drive there. I hope shit like this isn't a sign of what to expect in the game. Edit: Now the version updater is just sitting there, like a piece of shit. I have like 24Mbps down right now, I know it's not my problem. Also I do not care enough to deal with trying to figure out where to download this shit manually and install it. I'll leave it running, some forums are saying it randomly kicks in, but if it doesn't oh well, that will just be the sign that this game is not worth playing. Because seriously, if three weeks before it comes out you can't even update it properly, what's gonna happen on launch day?
    Last edited by Opaque; 07 Sep 2010 at 05:38 PM.

8. Huh?

9. This is an Asian MMO. ALARM BELLS

10. It's a game made by Square-Enix in 2010. ALARM BELLS.