Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst ... 34567919 ... LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy XIV

1. The game does feel slow and you do kinda walk around aimlessly not really knowing what to do, hopefully, they'll fix this by launch, but as of this moment, I'm not inclined to buy this game.
    I'm always right, even when I'm wrong I'm right.

2. Opaque, which file did you open in your torrent program?

I assume I'm at the same stage as you. "Downloading version update files. Please wait." Been about an hour and it's only at 1.5%.

3. This video is annoying but it'll explain it better than I could:

4. Perfect. Thanks. Downloading now through my bittorrent app. Much faster.

[Update]:

[Update 2]:

LE pre-order canceled. $75 saved.

This might be cool in a year but it's currently clearly not anywhere near ready. I played for an hour and could write a novel about everything it does wrong. The UI is the worst part, though, and I doubt that will change much.

Or maybe I just don't like MMOs that much? Could be. Definitely still give this a chance if you're curious. Sure looks pretty.
    Last edited by Compass; 08 Sep 2010 at 07:20 AM.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    I click left and the cursor turns into the same icon it would be inside of a word document.
    Which means you're somehow opening the chat box. Fuck if I know what you mapped to what, but it sounds horrible. I use the d-pad for menu navigation which works just fine.
    Then there's an arrow in their speech bubble, but it doesn't do anything?
    It means that the dialog box is filled and awaiting you to press the accept button to continue the conversation. I thought you said you've played RPGs before? Questing and talking is pretty much the same as any regular JRPG since Dragon Warrior came out (which, yes, is different from most MMOs, but hardly a new concept). Your comments about trying to click on stuff and hovering over items also means I'm guessing you ignored my comments about how you shouldn't bother with the game at all if you're not using a controller, so I'm not surprised you're baffled by things that are simple and obvious with a gamepad.

But yeah, your complaints about how shitty the traditionally expected stuff from a PC interface are all totally true. Having to quit to adjust visuals is retarded, and the Directx bug from minimizing/alt-tabbing from fullscreen is just fucking stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mzo
    A big problem 11 had was that the PC version wasn't reworked for a PC interface at all, and felt extremely clunky unless you were using a PS2 gamepad (or equivalent). Playing it with a mouse and expecting intelligent UI made the game a huge disappointment for me.
    Like I've said, it's exactly the same here. Do not even try to use a m&kb if you want to try this because SE did not even bother. Yeah, you can move the UI around, but it's still going to control the same, and then cause rage when you realize you can't hotkey anything. If you're willing to play with a controller it's fine, but if not then this game will be nothing but a headache.
    Quote Originally Posted by general_tao
    you do kinda walk around aimlessly not really knowing what to do
    I still don't get this. Do you people not remember what you mapped the menu button to? I know you at least played vanilla WoW, Robby, you should still be able to understand the concept of living without questhelper.

6. Ugh... But I've been spoiled by the question mark above npcs and questhelper has been around for ages!

I played FFXI and I'm playing the open beta now and I did figure out what to do more or less, I've been doing the questleve and what not but it's not really, I dunno, "user friendly"?
    I'm always right, even when I'm wrong I'm right.

7. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    Which means you're somehow opening the chat box. Fuck if I know what you mapped to what, but it sounds horrible. I use the d-pad for menu navigation which works just fine.It means that the dialog box is filled and awaiting you to press the accept button to continue the conversation. I thought you said you've played RPGs before? Questing and talking is pretty much the same as any regular JRPG since Dragon Warrior came out (which, yes, is different from most MMOs, but hardly a new concept). Your comments about trying to click on stuff and hovering over items also means I'm guessing you ignored my comments about how you shouldn't bother with the game at all if you're not using a controller, so I'm not surprised you're baffled by things that are simple and obvious with a gamepad.
    Not baffled so much as I mean that if I left click them they talk, and it appears the way to keep conversation going is to keep left clicking them. I can't click the arrow, I tried pressing down on the direction buttons on the keyboard, no such luck. Again, this sounds like the game is build too much around a controller, which doesn't excuse poor keyboard support whatsoever. If the game is coming out on PC literally over half a year before consoles, they should have worked a little harder on the controls most computer users will have. I shouldn't have to buy a controller to try out this beta, that's just fucking stupid.

Really, it's just one of those things that after you've played a game like WoW, it's hard to enjoy a game that fucks everything up. It would be like playing Doom right now, if it had never come out originally, after having played shit like Half Life 2. You wouldn't call the Doom in that alternate reality anything other than underachieving shit. That's what this game is: an MMO that would have been acceptable a decade ago.

8. Found out all the guildleves are actually repeatable, but they're supposedly on a 48 hour cooldown. There's also some ill-explained way to combine them to get bonus rewards that I'll try to figure out next time they come up. I guess this is part of the push to lessen single-day grinding while encouraging return play, and might also mean it's more beneficial than I previously thought to try and get the largest groups possible for them.

Tried the active tradeskill classes last night, they're okay. It's annoying to swap equipment all the time when I was trying to mine, fish, and chop wood in the same area, but I've got a feeling that will become less of an issue in the non-beginner areas. Fishing was also a letdown, since it was actually a fun minigame in FFXI (best MMO fishing ever), but I guess this was to try and make it similar to the other skills. Conformity fail.

Was also annoying because normally you buy class items at the guilds, but if there's no guild you have to find the general marketplace and check every vendor because some of that shit is just mixed in at random. Took me forever to find a fishing pole in the forest town, and there's literally no indication that's what you need to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Opaque
    I shouldn't have to buy a controller to try out this beta, that's just fucking stupid.
    I use a 360 controller, or if you have a long enough mini usb cord the PS3 controllers also work. I use a controller for a bunch of games on PC, so I always keep one around.

p.s. I really wasn't kidding. You were warned.

9. I know I'm probably the only person on this board that gives a fuck about this, but hey. FFXIV is ramping up to hit 2.0 around the PS3 release, which means they'll be getting rid of their free-to-play status and are overhauling pretty much the entire fucking game. Among the changes are:
    Completely redesigned world.
    Implementation of a new graphics engine.
    New server system designed for increased speed and performance.
    Fully renewed user interface.
    Implementation of the Job System
    Complete redesign of character creation.
    Addition of Male Mi’quote, Female Roegadyns and Female Highlander (at long last we’ll some tall and muscular ladies!).
    Release of a drag & drop “mannequin” system to change gear on the fly when changing classes.
    Complete redesign of the market wards in a system incorporating both retainers and Auction House systems.
    Primal summoning and monster taming ability available to certain classes (yay, summoners!).
    Release of a “companion” system for summoned and tamed pets that will develop over time.
    Release of player-driven communities known as Free Companies. They will allow access to personal estates and cooperative crafting.
    Implementation of Chocobo gear and armor, mounted combat (!), mounted content and shared chocobos.
    There's a bunch more too, and the PS3 release is aimed for between October-December 2012. The new stuff looks pretty good and it's rumored that Square might be using their new Luminous Engine that they made for releases starting with FF Versus XIII.

Click for full size

Also: fanservice boss and appropriate loot:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FFXIV_2_00.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	275.7 KB 
ID:	63853  

I played FF11. thinking back on it, its a travesty of a game. FF14 looks no better, and the pay system matches that of ff11, making me pay for extra character slots. even free to play mmo's don't do that. i think its too late for them. especially with tor coming out. the only people that will play it are people who probably dont play anything else.