Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2456781020 ... LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy XIV

1. I tried the beta of XIV and I do not trust them to make that game fun.

If, by miracle, they turned this into a new game without bothering to rename it (seems unlikely) I'll give it another shot. I'll wait for actual reviews though.

2. Quote Originally Posted by JBNagis View Post
    even free to play mmo's don't do that.
    Yes they do. Off the top of my head Champions Online and DCUO both make you pay for more than two slots, and I know there are others that do as well.

3. I'll give it another whirl with 2.0 if there's a demo. That screenshot makes it look nifty.

4. I spent more time and money than I care to remember trying to find something to enjoy in FFXI. I hope this fails spectacularly. And I hope heads roll. I hope jobs are lost and fathers cannot provide for their children.

There, I said it.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    Yes they do. Off the top of my head Champions Online and DCUO both make you pay for more than two slots, and I know there are others that do as well.
    True that most of them do. but i was thinking of the ones that give you like 3 slots, and anything more than that is pay. Thats what i meant.I hated that in FF11. LoTRo gives you like 2 free slots, DFO you can make as many as you want. Its one of the many reasons i went to WoW and never looked back. Aside from the fact that i actually had a cookbook in the game with all my recipes, that shit blew my mind back than.

6. The website has changed over totally for 2.0, putting up the screens and art they released about a month ago.

Among the various other quality of life improvements include being able to jump, a reduction in inventory size but equipment will no longer be counted as inventory (trust me, it frees up more room than it takes away), part of that will also include the game saving your outfits for different jobs instead of needing macros, and the new engine should not only look better but also run better.

Chocobo raising and combat (complete with skill trees for the chocobo to fill a role as a tank, healer, or damage dealer) will be added, and eventually a stable for multiple chocobos to go along with player housing. There will also be 24-man raids (bleh), and a world summon system where linkshells can take down a roaming primal like Ifrit for a set amount of time and then unleash him in an emergency situation.

Blah blah lots of other stuff too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FINALFANTASY_XIV_20_PUB_04.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	263.9 KB 
ID:	66336   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FINALFANTASY_XIV_20_PUB_12.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	264.1 KB 
ID:	66337  

7. Sounds like significant work was done. Is it too little too late, or will it now attract a larger audience?

8. We'll get around to it 8 years later, like we are with XI.

Edit: Those screens look GOREGEOUS for an MMO though.
    Last edited by Chux; 06 Jul 2012 at 09:16 AM.

9. I just don't know why the hell they released this when they did. The game looks great now - it should be able to sell itself. Instead there's a huge amount of people who will never play it because it was such a shitpile on release.

10. They were full of themselves and thought people would just eat up whatever they threw out. I honestly think it was for the best (for players) that this happened, because they did some shitty half-assed promotions and put out a product that wasn't finished and wasn't going anywhere fast (there was no endgame content until after the new team took over). So the player base showed to Square that, no, they weren't going to just bend it over and take it and forced Square's hand. Under the old team this would not be shaping the way it has been and we probably still wouldn't have mounts and advanced jobs.

Square was a bitchy hot girl and got dumped. Now she's trying to figure out this whole personality thing.

FFXI is their most profitable game in the franchise (which is part of why they're still releasing new content for it) so I'm sure they see it as a worthwhile investment to pour extra money in to revamp FFXIV and try to win back the people they burned while convincing people to stick around. They've been doing some really nice stuff these last few months for people that are playing (like a lifetime reduction in the monthly fee and special mounts), though I'm sure some will see it as desperation and others as appreciation.

p.s. If anyone is wondering, those dots in the lower right corner are the inventory and how many slots are filled or open. I love the look of the new UI.