Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3567891121 ... LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy XIV

1. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    FFXI is their most profitable game in the franchise
    I really hate how they came out and made this statement. No fucking shit, it's a goddamn MMO, of course it brings in more profit than your single player RPGs that don't generate a revenue stream. It's also a game that alienated a huge part of your fanbase and is considered a huge gross stain on an otherwise legendary franchise by most of the gaming world.

2. To be fair, almost everything after FFX is a gross stain.

3. Quote Originally Posted by FirstBlood View Post
    It's also a game that alienated a huge part of your fanbase and is considered a huge gross stain on an otherwise legendary franchise by most of the gaming world.
    I think that's overstating it a bit. Maybe among the Final Fantasy dorks on NeoGAF and RPGamer. I think everyone else sees it as a well-executed MMORPG, nothing more.

More broadly it's probably the 2nd most successful MMORPG ever. Square Enix succeeded where a lot of companies have failed. Shit EA is currently flailing about with what, their fourth attempt?
    Last edited by Diff-chan; 06 Jul 2012 at 10:10 AM.

I'm with diff on this. Anyone who considers Final Fantasy "legendary" is a dumbass to begin with, so I couldn't care less what their opinions are. XI and XII were easily the best consecutive releases since at least V and VI and probably in the whole series.

5. They still have like half a million subscribers (which puts them at like sixth or seventh place out of MMOs right now) ten years later. I think they might be the longest currently running subscription MMO, everything else from back then has either been shut down or gone F2P.

6. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    They still have like half a million subscribers (which puts them at like sixth or seventh place out of MMOs right now) ten years later. I think they might be the longest currently running subscription MMO, everything else from back then has either been shut down or gone F2P.
    Final Fantasy XI has also been their most profitable FF game ever. No surprise they never went F2P.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

7. Did you guys know that Final Fantasy XI is the most profitable Final Fantasy game?

8. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Anyone who considers Final Fantasy "legendary" is a dumbass to begin with, so I couldn't care less what their opinions are.
    Just because you personally don't think so doesn't mean it's not. Final Fantasy is just as recognizable as any other classic IP you could name. Of course it's legendary.

For me recognizable does not grant "legendary" status. Legendary demands quality that this series rarely delivers. Insanely popular? Sure. Legendary? Nope.

Maybe I'm thinking about this wrong. Maybe Final Fantasy is legendary in the same way unicorns are. They suck, but bitches love them.
    Last edited by Yoshi; 06 Jul 2012 at 05:25 PM.

10. If it was a bad game, FFXI would have gone F2P ages ago.

Legendary? Eh - I don't think the term "Final Fantasy" is as recognizable to non-gamers as Donkey Kong, Mario, Pac Man, or Sonic. Say what you will about where each franchise is now, but those are legendary I would think. Or far closer than FF. Call it...iconic?

ANYWAY, I heard FF14 is getting better. Since I heard that about 11 and turned out to be true, I'm getting curious for this one. It's like $20 everywhere. How's the subscription system?
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.