Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234568 ... LastLast

Thread: Happy Birthday, Dreamcast

1. Dreamcast sucks for emulation. It's great for Beats of Rage, though.

2. Story time! In '99 I had moved away from home, got my first computer and the intarnets, had a job at FuncoLand. I saw the life of the DC first-hand. Sales were good, the customers loved the games (this was in an urban setting, too), and my co-workers and I would goof off by playing epic matches of Power Stone on the demo system when we should've been working. I was still enjoying a healthy diet of PS1 games so I never actually owned a DC until 2001, right before I moved to Maine to live with my e-g/f (lol, don't laugh, it was great). I picked up a refurbished system, Skies of Arcadia, and all 4 shmups available (Giga Wing, GW2, Mars Matrix, Gunbird 2). Of course, the DC was the first thing I hooked up when I got to my new destination up north, and by that time retailers were liquidating the software. RE3, RE:CV, Bangai-O, Grandia II, Legacy of Kain, and Seaman were all enjoyed that summer for cheap. And then, in September, Ikaruga. I was one of those day-1 crazies and had it pre-ordered from NCS. My first import game, and the first time I risked putting my TV on its side. I used one of those $10 cheat discs to boot it. After that, I kept my eyes peeled in stores for closeout DC stuff and I grabbed Shenmue, Last Blade 2, and Rush 2049. I then turned to ebay for some used games and imports. GGX, EGG, Typing of the Dead, and Shenmue II Euro. I even went through the trouble to convert my Shenmue 1 save to PAL format for use in the sequel, and while browsing the internet on the DC, I realized how horrible composite video was, so I snagged a VGA box for it. Much to the dismay of my g/f, the DC moved over to the PC monitor where it stayed for good. I don't feeling like typing any more of this shit, so fast-forward to 2005... my life up in Maine fell apart, and I started to ebay my game collection. The DC stuff was the first to go. The last game I bought for it was the Trizeal import. A few years later, I'd moved back to Virginia and finished up selling off my console stuff, including most of which I told myself I wouldn't sell (NES, SNES, Saturn, GameCube). I still had the DC system around for playing CDRs, but when I went to test it prior to putting it on ebay, I found that it no longer worked. Hit the power switch, nothing happened. I've kept it in storage (along with all its accessories) since then. Someone should fix it for me. THE END

3. When I think about things, it's really kind of a conflict for me. I blame the PS2 for killing the Dreamcast and the great potential that it had, but at the same time, if the PS2 had had to fight it out with a stronger Dreamcast while also fending off the Xbox and GameCube, it may not have turned out to be the uber-console it ended up being.

Still have my crazy big DC library back home, which has survived relatively unscathed from my gaming purge beyond selling off one of my maraca controllers and my US copy of Samba de Amigo. I keep thinking that, at this point, I really don't need to keep it around anymore, but I just can't bring myself to get rid of it. And I do wish that, one day, we'd get versions of Chu Chu Rocket and Mars Matrix on other platforms. (Seriously Sega... Chu Chu should have been on DS and XBLA/PSN by now.)
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

Mars Matrix was so goooood
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

5. Quote Originally Posted by OmegaFlareX View Post
    Someone should fix it for me. THE END

Fix it yourself. There are lots of vids on youtube. Also, I think Destro used to just put something with weight on top of the lid and it'd boot up and work.

6. I had a Dreamcast gathering last night. Plenty of Power Stone, Project Justice, and Typing of the Dead was had.
    We never got around to Chu Chu Rocket. Maybe soon.

I'd like to play through Sonic Adventure soon, now that my Dreamcast, which refused to play it for the last two years, has now decided to load it up with no problem now.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Geen View Post

I'd like to play through Sonic Adventure soon, now that my Dreamcast, which refused to play it for the last two years, has now decided to load it up with no problem now.

I'm telling you if you have any Dreamcast games that do not load up, drop it in boiling water for 25 seconds. I've done it on three separate games that refused to load and then tried the boiling trick and they worked like a charm
    "Remember, not knowing how to cook is like not knowing how to fuck."
    Geek in the Desert

8. Quote Originally Posted by Hot Like Wasabi View Post
    I'm telling you if you have any Dreamcast games that do not load up, drop it in boiling water for 25 seconds. I've done it on three separate games that refused to load and then tried the boiling trick and they worked like a charm
    That is very wacky. I'll keep that in mind, though.

The weird thing about my copy of Sonic Adventure is that it was only on my Dreamcast that it refused to load. So, why my machine would load everything else with no trouble but refuse to load that one game is beyond me, but there you go.

9. I always suspected Sonic Adventure was undercooked.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
    Fix it yourself. There are lots of vids on youtube. Also, I think Destro used to just put something with weight on top of the lid and it'd boot up and work.
    Hm, it's not a disc read error or anything. The console just doesn't power on. Guess I could do some more troubleshooting.