Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 345679 ... LastLast

Thread: Happy Birthday, Dreamcast

1. I punched my system before and had the same effect. Opened it up and the lead from the psu to the modo was disconnected. Plugged it back in and it worked.

2. Dreamcast was the most creative 18 months of gaming ever. There's been tons of great stuff since but nothing's ever had the same spark. Sega just let all their teams run free, hoping to find that next breakout hit. Seems to me that nowadays HD has pretty much killed that kind of creativity forever outside the indie scene. Development costs are just too high to gamble on crazy niche ideas all the time.
    -Kyo

The problem was that Sega was charging $50 a pop for those indie games. Cosmic Smash, Rez, Space Channel 5, etc. should have been $10 downloads. The Dreamcast was more about Capcom and shooters than anything Sega did... with love to Shenmue of course. Where the fuck was the Panzer Dragoon, for example? It's like Sega forgot every series from the Genesis on the Saturn and then forgot about every series from the Saturn on the Dreamcast. Although forgetting Bug! was addition by subtraction.

4. It's pretty baffling that they refused to make another Streets of Rage or Shinobi, but Space Channel 5 got a sequel.

5. Where would we have stored those downloadable games, Yoshi? On the incredible storage of the VMU?
    I think Sega was fine on their game pricing. Crazy Taxi, for example, had a shit-ton of extra content on the Dreamcast that warranted that $50 price tag. Space Channel 5 had a ton of replay value and extra shit to unlock. Looking back, I can't think of anything Sega published that I feel like was overpriced for what I got out of it.
    I'm also happy that they stayed away from farming their old franchises too much. I love Streets of Rage, but I don't think I'd be happy to see them 3D it up and change the fundamentals of it. Besides, we got Dynamite Cop, which I remember being great and SoRish enough.
    Also, fuck NiGHTS. I'm glad we never saw a Dreamcast version.

6. I love the Dreamcast version of Star Wars: Episode 1 - Jedi Power Battles. Also, Soul Reaver was only playable on the Dreamcast.

Quote Originally Posted by Geen View Post
    Where would we have stored those downloadable games, Yoshi? On the incredible storage of the VMU?
    Do you eat dense cereal for breakfast? My point was that there's a reason those kind of games are only coming from indie developers now.
    I'm also happy that they stayed away from farming their old franchises too much. I love Streets of Rage, but I don't think I'd be happy to see them 3D it up and change the fundamentals of it. Besides, we got Dynamite Cop, which I remember being great and SoRish enough.
    GTFO with Dynamite Cop being a substitute for SoR. Also, why would SoR on DC have to have been 3D? Most of the DC's best games were 2D.
    Also, fuck NiGHTS. I'm glad we never saw a Dreamcast version.
    TOTALLY agree.

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    It's pretty baffling that they refused to make another Streets of Rage or Shinobi, but Space Channel 5 got a sequel.
    Yeah, three wrongs don't make a right.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Do you eat dense cereal for breakfast? My point was that there's a reason those kind of games are only coming from indie developers now.
    I completely agree with those type of games being download titles today, but when you say "The problem was that Sega was charging $50 a pop for those indie games. Cosmic Smash, Rez, Space Channel 5, etc. should have been $10 downloads." then we aren't talking about today, we're talking about 1999-2002 on the Dreamcast hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    GTFO with Dynamite Cop being a substitute for SoR. Also, why would SoR on DC have to have been 3D? Most of the DC's best games were 2D.
    You're right, most of DC's best games were 2D, but I don't believe Sega published any 2D games on the Dreamcast besides Sega Swirl (unless there are some Sega published 2D gems in Japan I haven't seen, heard of, or forgot about) and I don't believe Sega would've broken their 3D streak by making a 2D Streets of Rage when good looking 3D was still the new hotness, especially in their position of trying to prove they were up to par with the upcoming PS2.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    TOTALLY agree.
    Glad we do.

10. I don't think a Nights sequel on DC would have been a bad idea per se, but from what I've seen of the Wii sequel, I doubt Sega would have done it properly. Get rid of the cornball story and worthless 'platforming' bits, and it could be great. The basic gameplay mechanics are solid and fun.