Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 24567810 ... LastLast

Thread: Happy Birthday, Dreamcast

Quote Originally Posted by Geen View Post
    I completely agree with those type of games being download titles today, but when you say "The problem was that Sega was charging $50 a pop for those indie games. Cosmic Smash, Rez, Space Channel 5, etc. should have been $10 downloads." then we aren't talking about today, we're talking about 1999-2002 on the Dreamcast hardware.
    Agreed. And those games weren't worth $50 in 1999-2002 either.
    You're right, most of DC's best games were 2D, but I don't believe Sega published any 2D games on the Dreamcast besides Sega Swirl (unless there are some Sega published 2D gems in Japan I haven't seen, heard of, or forgot about) and I don't believe Sega would've broken their 3D streak by making a 2D Streets of Rage when good looking 3D was still the new hotness, especially in their position of trying to prove they were up to par with the upcoming PS2.
    And for this they earned getting pounded into the ground.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Agreed. And those games weren't worth $50 in 1999-2002 either.
    And for this they earned getting pounded into the ground.
    Kay.

3. hate on Rez all you want, but Cosmic Smash is sub-videogame? gtfo with that utter nonsense.

Don't get me wrong. I'd buy a XBLA/PSN Cosmic Smash, as opposed to Rez or SC5.

Quote Originally Posted by StriderKyo View Post
    Dreamcast was the most creative 18 months of gaming ever. There's been tons of great stuff since but nothing's ever had the same spark. Sega just let all their teams run free, hoping to find that next breakout hit. Seems to me that nowadays HD has pretty much killed that kind of creativity forever outside the indie scene. Development costs are just too high to gamble on crazy niche ideas all the time.
    Development costs were probably too expensive then, too. But that's what was so awesome about console-making era Sega: they risked doing new stuff all the time. Sure, it was often at the expense of business sense but gamers benefited for the several years it lasted.

6. DC has the only perfect port of MvC2. It will always have a place in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    perfect port
    jumbo shrimp? women's sports?

8. Jet Set Radio.

The music. The graphics. The game play. Everything about it was dynamite.

That, Shenmue and all the Capcom games, were the reasons I bought that system. I purchased the DC exactly four months before Sega announced they were calling it quits, but I didn't regret it. It was the TurboGrafx 16 of that generation.
    Last edited by Brisco Bold; 12 Sep 2010 at 07:10 PM.

9. MvC2 was built around the Naomi board. Go fuck yourself, Yoshi.

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco Bold View Post
    Jet Set Radio.

The music. The graphics. The game play. Everything about it was dynamite.

That, Shenmue and all the Capcom games, were the reasons I bought that system. I purchased the DC exactly four months before Sega announced they were calling it quits, but I didn't regret it. It was the TurboGrafx 16 of that generation.
    Brisco knows what's what.